1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When someone like Les Bear (or some custom smiths) hogs out the barrel link (slide release end) is there an operational difference compared to selecting a correct length link ?
Method to the madness?
How about it Log?

·
Premium Member
14,638 Posts
Well, I'm far from the expert here, but recognize two different theories as to what the link should do, and when.

When the large hole is enlarged it is done, so the link can not possibly contact the slide stop pin in compression, this forces the lower lug to do all the lifting.

I believe this theory is thought to cause the barrel to stay put during the chamber cycle, and until the breech face contacts the hood end. It also eliminates any possible standing on the link.

The other theory is that the unmodified link will start the barrel's rise and pass it off to the lower lug. This does require careful link selection, but is preferred in my opinion.

LOG

·
Premium Member
14,638 Posts
Do you think the timing is altered? If so for the good or bad?
Link down timing would/should not be affected. With the barrel in hand and the slide stop pin in the link, hold the link back against the lower lug stop. With either type fitting the link should be out of room, not actually tight but snug to the pin. If so, the link will in either case, bring link down at the same time. The difference is in the chamber cycle.

LOG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts