1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to ask the experts ... I have an old
1911 Colt Government Model - made in 1921 .. 90% + condition - bore in good shape. Slide to frame fit is pretty tight too. I really love the fit, feeling and finish - JMB got it right!

With hammer down, if I push down on the barrel hood, it will move down approx. 1/16",
and the slide moves back just a tad. Without
pushing on the barrel hood, the rear of the slide is flush with the rear of the frame.

I know this is not an Ed Brown or Les Baer,
and that it is a "Collectable" ... I don't shoot it, but like it in tip-top shape.

Should I
A. Leave it as?
B. Is there a "gentle fix" (replacement or longer barrel link?)
C. Other?

It has fresh springs (recoil, mainspring, firing pin).

Thanks for your feedback ... Just 10 more years to the 100th Anniversary of Colt 1911 !!!!

best regards,
famous

·
Registered
941 Posts
famous, I'm no expert but the slight movement you describe is not that bad especially if the pistol functions and is fairly accurate....I have a few good shooters that have slight movement and are very accurate....

·
2,975 Posts
This is typical of Colt pistols. The reason it does this is because Colt generally doesn't fit the lower barrel lugs snugly on top of the slide stop pin. Instead, there is usually a gap in there equal to the amount movement when you press down on the barrel hood. The reason these guns are accurate is that the pressure of the cartridge forces the barrel to seat firmly in the locking lugs of the slide during firing.

You can see this if you remove your barrel and put the slide stop pin in the link and look at the relationship of the pin to the lower lugs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts