1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an Ed Brown "drop-in" barrel in my Springfield loaded. I am replacing the bushingless ported factory barrel. The problem I am having is the slide pin is hitting the lower lug (feet)on the barrel. They show that the lug may need to be fitted in the flat area so the barrel stops in the correct position, but the problem is the pin is hitting on top, as if the barrel needs to go up into the locking lugs more. How do you know when the barrel is fit fully up and in to the lugs without removing too much metal? I assume this is the problem since they said is is rare to remove any metal from any place but the flat area of the feet.

Also the outside of the barrel has fine ridges along it from the lathe. Should I lightly polish these down with 2000 grit sandpaper and Flitz, or will this put too much play on the bushing fit? Right now it's like running your nail along a record. (remember these?)

Thanks,

Chet

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The bottom barrel lug feet are supposed to make contact with the slide stop pin. This is what provides repeatable stability, hence accuracy. If your gun goes into full battery ( even if the last 1/4 inch of travel is sluggish ) then your fine. I wouldn't remove any metal at all, just shot it 500 times for break in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that the pin will not even go in. It is though the barrel is too low hitting the top of the pin. I'm not positive the top lugs are fully seated in the slide. Not sure how to tell if it is fully seated.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I am not sure of the problem. The slide stop pin is put in while the barrel is out of battery as the slide has to be back partway so the slide stop is at the dismount notch.

Assuming that you have the tension off the recoil spring, the stop pin should go in easily. If the barrel lugs prevent that, then the barrel may actually be hitting the slide behind the locking lug seats. All I can suggest is to remove the slide and look at how the barrel fits. Also take the barrel out and insert the stop pin through the link and make sure the lug will let the pin and link move properly.

Then try the barrel in the frame without the slide. See if you can insert the slide stop and that the barrel will move normally. If not, check back.

If the company said that the lower lug needs fitting, it may be made oversize, but that would then not be a "drop in" barrel.

Note also that the front bushing must allow the barrel enough movement for it to move up both to seat and to allow assembly. This can be tested best with just the slide and barrel.

As to the tool marks, I would not expect them on a supposedly good quality barrel. My inclination would be to do nothing to the barrel and certainly nothing to the gun; just send the barrel back and tell them it didn't "drop in" and that it is too rough. Get a refund and buy elsewhere.

Jim

·
Registered
378 Posts
Something is not allowing the barrel to move up far enough or the bottom lugs need fitting. Try putting the slide on without the barrel bushing in place. It's possible, but not likely that the barrel is tilted up enough at the rear end that the barrel is contacting the rear of the bushing.

The more likely scenario is that it is bottoming out on the top barrel lugs. In this case you'll want to see how centerd the firing pin is. If the pin is hitting above center you'll want to trim the top barrel lugs down some (go very slowly and test fit often). If the firing pin is pretty well centered as is I'd trim the lower lugs to fit.

Without seeing the lathe marks its hard to say whether they are excessive or not. I doubt they're deep enough to affect lock up in any way.... and if they are that is a problem!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Just a thought:
Make sure that the posterior face of the barrel hood is properly fitted to permit the top barrel lugs to seat fully into the corresponding slide recesses.

When the barrel and slide are separated from the frame, does the barrel drop right into place in the lug recesses when in battery?

If not, you need to reduce the length of the barrel hood.

If so, then that's not part of the problem, and what everybody else said above applies.

Best.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ed Brown "drop-in" barrels typically require minor fitting. However, once fit, they do produce excellent accuracy.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts