1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Mk III, 9mm purchased new in 2000. At this point, approx 10k rounds have been fired through the pistol and an 18.5 lb Wolff spring has been utilized almost since new. Ammo fired in this pistol has not been of the +P variety.

Noticed a very faint rough edge on the forward barrel locking lug the last time it was cleaned. It really not visable to me but if I run a fingernail over the area, I can feel a slight roughness. Haven't noticed similar wear on my 1911 and that beauty is approaching 50k rounds through the current barrel. Perhaps wear on these two isn't comparable.

Is this normal wear for a pistol with 10k rounds through the barrel or is it a sign of unpleasent things to come? Am curious as I plan to shoot the HP more, not less, in the coming years.

Your thoughts/comments will be appreciated.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr. Camp,

It is quite possible this minor roughness has been there all along. In fact, I have noticed the roughness for some time and it only occurred to me recently to inquire on this forum.

Thanks for the suggestion and moreover, thanks for all the knowledge you so willingly share on the HP as well as other firearms.

Very Respectfully yours,

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Hello, Sam Brown. As luck would have it, since I posted this morning I got a chance to look at a brand spanking new FN Hi Power 9mm Mk III. I looked at the lugs closely and it does appear that the edge has been knocked off almost imperceptably, but still it was done. With the owner's permission I dkyem'd up the lugs and checked for engagement with the slide cut outs. There's plenty. I don't think you have a thing to worry about.

Best.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Camp,

Thanks for the amplifying info. Delighted to hear there is not a problem. Those kinds of problems are the most difficult to repair!!

I genuinely love the HP and as a long retired career officer of Marines, I remember encountering the HP at times and in places that seem not to be mentioned in history; at least not yet. The HP was the "official, unoffical" sidearm of my youth!

Again,

Regards and thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.