1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for asking my question, because I know I've seen this covered in a recent thread. I just can't seem to find it.

I recently purchased a used Mil-spec Springfield govt. model. All in all, I'm very pleased with the pistol, but I would like to improve the barrel lockup. Currently there is too much play.

A friend of mine suggested that we try a longer link, but in the post I referenced above, many of you said it was not a recommended approach. If my memory is correct, the alternative was to install a NM barrel. Can anyone point me back to the original post, or explain why a longer link is a bad idea? Is there a less expensive option than installing a NM barrel?

I really appreciate your help.

·
Banned
25 Posts
I just spent the entire night trying to get a SA barrel to work properly.
A long link will hoist the rear end of the barrel, making the firing pin hit low, off center and the pistol will fire downhill in relation to the sight plane. The farther you are from your target, the lower your bullet strike will be. Want to know a secret? There is only ONE proper length of barrel link. The magicians whol put all sorts of different lengths of link in place just compound their problems. Brown sells a proper length link and he will tell you to use no other. Obviously, even with adjustable sights, you would have to signt in at the exact distance each time you shoot.
If your sight plane and bore centerline are parallel, you can sight in at any reasonable distance, and using the bullet trajectory chart, hit dead center every time. Not so with the downhill pointing barrel.
The cheapest alternative is to properly fit a match barrel. The next cheapest is to buy a pistol with a little horsie standing on his back legs stamped on the slide and spare yourself the inevitible heartburn of trying to correct the engineering and production faults inherent in your present pistol's design. The one I've been working on hits 4" low at 25 feet. I find this mess incredible for a factory fitted barrel. One wonders if they care about their customers at all. All of the hot air and hulabaloo concerning this South American product do not elevate the mechanism to even a barely acceptable rating in my book. But, perhaps I have a lemon, and you have a lemon, etc. etc. etc.
If you want to begin with an economical alternative, the new Enhanced Essex slide and frame are a great way to go, and the price is right.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Wow!

...Tell us how you REALLY feel Jack!

LOL...you crack me up...I know that exact problem and it's the pits to have a new pistol with a worn out barrel...I'm thinkin' of sendin' it to SA but I have to have a replacement first! Maybe I'll check into that Essex set-up! They look real good and I KNOW THEY WILL STAND BEHIND IT!

In all fairness to SA though, I want to give them a chance to do somethin' on my barrel...I've heard all kinds of good things about Dave Williams and SA and it wouldn't be fair to do anything except give them the chance to fix it...I'm kinda' bummed about the barrel but maybe they can do somethin' for me...First though, I have to get me a Lil' Horsey to send to a friend to put in shape for me...LOL

Thanks for the post Jack...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well first how is the gun grouping. If its good then dont fix it. But if it needs some improvement I first look at the bushing fit. How well does it fit to the slide??? How well to the barrel. A hand fitted NM bushing fitted right can work wonders and not change the axis of the barrel. Try that first. If you want to go to a longer link start with the shortest of the long links and work up.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm with biggunjay on this. Just bought a 1991A1 from a friend, unfired in the box. He put a steel mainspring housing and a videcki trigger on it, but I noticed some play in the barrel to bushing fit (.003) and a lot of play (.005) in the bushing to slide fit. Bought a Wilson oversized bushing instead of a Colt because there was less metal to remove, and it cut my groups in half. I still want to take the bushing OD down a bit because I don't like to use bushing wrenches, but that was the best $17 I've spent in years.

·
Banned
25 Posts
The pistol I mentioned does, in fact belong to Gyp_c. It was fitted by SA at the factory with a bull barrel that has no bushing, but relies on the cut into the dust cover to act as a v block. Nice setup, but nothing was done correctly and the barrel is pointing downhill noticeably. I have Millett sight height device, and no known rear sight except the old 1920's design Micro would be high enough to straighten out the mess. '
So much for the people who swear by SA pistols. You could probably buy this one cheap. There is no way I know to straighten it out. When the barrel comes into the same plane as the now radically altered sights, it is about 3/4 of the way out of the locking lugs. With the origninal sights, it would be unlocked.
SA will, of course, disavow all knowledge of this, and since the owner had an unknown gunsmith in Colorado do some work thereon, it absolves SA from any liability.
We're going to put this one under glass so that any shooter who sees it can see for himself the wonders of having second string South American parts mate with brand X parts.
Shame on you, SA. You don't deserve a second chance after this caesarian miscarriage.
Hopefully, this is just a single isolated incident, and all of their other output was not done near quitting time on a Friday.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,395 Posts
Jack, I don't agree with your description of the relationship of link length and point of impact/point of aim. If you use a longer link, then a similar change in sight height will restore the relationship. Even with a standard, .278" link, the barrel is pointed downward relative to the sighting plane. ~7%, If memory serves. Any sight adjustment is a compromise, unless you know the exact distance to your target.

·
Premium Member
11,726 Posts
In my experience, SA has always bent over backwards to fix any problems, even after the guns have been extensively customized by others. I sent one back for a friend that had everything but checkering & a comp with 25K rounds through it. The slide stop pin hole had egged out on the right side to ~.208"x~.221". Don't know why, how or when, just did. They replaced the frame and fit all of his aftermarket parts to the new one at no charge. Whatever else may be wrong with SA, service is NOT a problem. I'll give them a chance at my money just because of that. Try to talk to Dave in the custom shop. You will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
What Rick and BBBill said.To add to Rick's post,the reason the bore is 'sighted' down away from the sightplane is that the bullet doesn't leave the barrel until the pistol has already started to recoil,but before the barrel unlocks and starts linkdown.When it does leave the muzzle,the bore is now slightly 'aimed' to cross the sightplne.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Rex...how's that about "crossing the sight plane"? How exactly is the timing operating there? I can't see how that would be?! The bullet has already left the barrel before it unlocks, is that it?

hmmm...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts