1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think Colt made most of the replacement barrels until the mid 1980's. The "G" apparently helped to solve the mystery surrounding the manufacture of pistols in the suspended Springfield Armory serial range.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
The "M" is found on post-WWII barrels and indicate that the barrel passed a magnetic particle test that checked for cracks and other defects.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "M" is found on post-WWII barrels and indicate that the barrel passed a magnetic particle test that checked for cracks and other defects.
Thank you! Couldn’t locate an article mentioning it. I was just looking it up to see if maybe it was a gothic h perhaps, but I concluded it wasn’t . That left me in a quandary. I’m sure I was told it was a RR barrel, and have no doubt it is, but I haven’t proven it to myself by review of the literature.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, don’t know how, but I missed some good replies that cleared things up for me. I believe now from you experts that mine is an aftermarket Colt barrel made in 1970. This is known by the Serial Number and C within a square. The P is a Proof stamp indicating QC inspection was completed and the M that it passed a magnaflux test to verify absense of cracks in the metal. Whew! Did I get it?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
The barrel was made by Colt who was a prime supplier for many replacement parts. I think they meant it was made "in the 70s", I think, not 1970 specifically.The parts could have been applied during the rebuild or could have been put on earlier at the unit or direct support level and was refinished along with the pistol during rebuild. My CMP Field Grade came with a similar barrel but my pistol appears not to have gone through a depot rebuild (no rebuild markings).

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Cylinder Gas Fender

Air gun Trigger Line Office supplies Font

Air gun Trigger Font Gun accessory Shotgun

I would second the recommendations of others that you replace the recoil and firing pin springs. Wolf springs are easily found and you can still even find some NOS USGI recoil springs around if you look hard enough. Watch the loads you use, too, if you decide to fire it.

Mine, like yours is a RR frame with a Colt slide - my slide is a Korean war contract replacement, though, according to the experts. I fired mine and then replaced the springs and took it out again after replacing them. Much better action. Congrats and enjoy your piece of military history!!!

Tool Font Bumper Gas Auto part

Circle Font Precision sports Pattern Art

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
@Jack C. Your barrel might be from 60s. C in the square box marking was used by Clot starting 1945 WWII A1 and early post war commercial barrel as well. I don't know exactly when Colt drop that marking, but more likely it was gone before 1970.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Thank you!

Good pictures and good shooting. The Old Dominion is a straight shooter!

That box of American Eagle is what I got from my FFL when my pistola arrived from CMP . I don’t know what constitutes a hot load for .45 but Im glad I wasn’t firing them out the box. It was bad enough to fire it dry like I did.
I am an Infophile...
I’m an infosponge

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
FWIW, this particularbatrel was made in chrome lined and non-chrome lined issue. They are very good barrels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts