1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Barrel Throat too tight?? Ammo Sticks

Just purchased an ultra compact cdp ii (very nice), haven't even taken it to the range yet.

I'm finding a small percentage of PMC FMJ, and all my Black Hills SWC won't fit into the barrel.... Goes in about 90% and then sticks.

I also have the full size cdp ii, and all the rounds fit just fine.

Is this something that may loosen up when I break it in, or should I be calling Kimber for a new barrel?

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm heading to the range on Monday, with 200 rounds (PMC, FMJ) that I have checked to make sure they fit.

I'll also bring the few PMC rounds that don't fit and try them after the session.

I hate when I pay good money and it's not right the first time...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Wangstang,

I read your posts, and I think the jist was that some guns are sensitive to certain brands of ammo.

I would rather have my barrel "opened" up a bit, then worry that some rounds will not go in. I took the barrel out of the slide and sat down with a few boxes of ammo and manually put each bullet into the barrel to see if they fit, most did, but enough didn't. if I had those rounds in my mag and I needed to use it...

I don't think that the barrel will loosen up after a few hundred rounds. I'll probably have to bug kimber or find a smith to help.

Other comments?

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
Chamber checking with the barrel out of the gun eliminates mechanical effects. If more than one brand of factory load is tight in the chamber and not in your other gun's, you definitely have an undersize chamber. Bug Kimber to ream or replace it or find a reliable gunsmith with a sharp new reamer. I have a Colt Commander with Wilson barrel that gave mystery failures to chamber until reamed. Now it is reliable and no less accurate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you found problems with multiple rds, and a caliper check confirms that the rds you inserted are with in spec, then call kimber and tell them what you have found. Request that they replace the barrel, then you'll only have to send the barrel back to them, saving you some costs on shiping if they won't pay out of the pocket. But, they might want the whole gun to do the warranty work on it anyways.

Wes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just talked to Kimber, they want me to run
some rounds through it.

Heading to the range this afternoon

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
rustler

As the links Wangstang provided you show Kimber's can be tempermental, this is because some Kimber chambers are very tight and not finished properly. This agrees with your own experience. Since you have not done much shooting, I agree with Kimber, go shoot your pistol. Just keep track of the ammo you use and if it gives you any problems feeding. While in most cases the apparant cause of the feeding problem is the ammo, the fix is to make sure the chamber is properly polished and the barrel throat extends all the way up to the hood by making sure the shoulder corners are beveled into the chamber.

The links Wangstang provided contain more detailed information.
I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

Edit: In addition, in the past Kimber has produced barrels where the chamber was out of round. This happened in the first two years of production, but that does not mean that something similar may not be happening now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was awful...

About 20-25 rounds out of a 100, would not load into the chamber. I had to fight the slide to get them out. The only use for this gun now is as a door stop!!

I have left a message with the custom shop asking if they want the whole gun, or just the barrel.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you haven't shiped the pistol off yet, I might try to see if you can't figure out a way to id the barrel and take a good look at the chamber so you can see if they changed the barrel out or worked on the chamber at all.

Wes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Already shipped it. But I left the barrel dirty from shooting. I hope the big test will be if it chambers rounds :)

Thanks for all the advice/

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hope they don't accuse you of poor maintenance for doing that. It will be intresting to see if you find a noticable difference in appearence, and what that difference is, if there is an improvement in the function.

Wes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I normally clean my guns right after shooting, but I wanted to leave it in the same condition I had problems with.

BTW, When I got the gun, the barrel was dirty from Kimbers test fires.

They will fix it proper, or I won't go away...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got a call from my gun dealer, the little beastie is back.

The note from Kimber is that they reamed the barrell throat open a little more.

I hope it works now... :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good luck, I was thinking of your issue this morn. on the way to work wondering how it turned out.

Wes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I took the gun home and removed the barrell and sat down with two different brands of ammo (PMC and Black Hills). They all fit!!!

I then put the gun back together, and loaded up a magazine and cycled it through. They all worked!! I did this a few times with different ammo. Still no feed problems.

I'm headed to the range this saturday, and I expect it to feed and work like my full size. I have a gun again, not a door stop...

Kimber was excellent with their support ,and the turn-around time was just a few days, even over the Thanksgiving holiday.

I can't even tell that they did anything to the barrel, but it now feeds ammo like it should.

Happy Camper again :D

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Rustler,

Howdy.

Check out my thread on the BPTen.

And my apology to Kimber.

I bitched and moaned about the chambering performance of that BPTen for quite awhile. Wouldn't chamber ANYTHING. Kimber said "Shoot some factory ammo thru it". Tough when you can only find one factory round that will chamber and then only feed one more and jamb....I stuck with it though. I was very determined to prove 'em wrong so I force fed 25 to 30 rounds of American Ammunition 230gr FMJ's thru it and low and behold it began to feed (it). Within 100 more rounds it began to feed nearly anything.:eek:

After 500 rounds it began to happily eat even my D&J .452 200gr SWC's, which need a really good feeder to eat. It now eats 'em with relish. It runs as well as my ol' Custom II with over 7000 rounds thru it.

If you get another one, you may want to try this for S&G. I think sometimes tighter is better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts