1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the barrel nut wrench or socket is available for S&W N frames, specifically a TRR8?

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Need some education here. Longtime S&W revolver(s) owner, shooter & tinkerer, but not familiar with a barrel nut. All my S&W revolver barrels appear to screw into the frame with no nut. A pin on older models.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Several of the newer S&W's use a two-piece barrel & shroud system. There are two different types of these. There are those like the TRR8 that use an inner barrel tube that threads into the frame, the shroud slips over the barrel and a barrel nut screws onto the muzzle end of the barrel tube, placing the barrel in tension. This is, essentially, the old Dan Wesson method and, supposedly, the secret to their reputation for great accuracy.

The second is system is pretty much the same accept there is no separate barrel nut. The muzzle end of the barrel tube is flanged and bears against the end of the shroud. The barrel tube is threaded into the frame and tightened with a tool that engages the tube's rifling.

In both instances the barrel is being held in tension. The new Model 66 and 69 use the latter method as do some of the Scandium framed PD revolvers.

Hope this helps.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Thanks Pizza Bob, your explanation was excellent. I forgot about the newer shrouded barrels.

BTW, I am really curious, since pizza is my favorite health food, did you choose your screen name because you like pizza, or own a chain of pizza restaurants, or play 3rd base for the Cubs?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks Pizza Bob, your explanation was excellent. I forgot about the newer shrouded barrels.

BTW, I am really curious, since pizza is my favorite health food, did you choose your screen name because you like pizza, or own a chain of pizza restaurants, or play 3rd base for the Cubs?
Rod:

Guns aren't the only thing I shoot. At one time I was a rather serious pool player (not good, but serious). A regular 14.1 (straight pool) nemesis christened me Pizza Bob because after our regular Wednesday evening match I always took my kids for pizza. Those "kids" are now 37 and 39 and I've used the moniker on any forums that I participate in.

I do love pizza and am fortunate to live close to a pizzeria that consistently makes any "Best in the US" or "Best in each State" list. If you are ever in Central Jersey (sorry if that's the case) you gotta hit Delorenzo's Tomato Pies in Robbinsville - it is one of Jersey's few redeeming features.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Thanks, PB. Used to play a little pool also, a few years back. Have no plans to ever be in Central Jersey. Too bad, I'd like to try one of Delorenzo's pies. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts