1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing the barrel in my Mil-Spec, and am looking for some good suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for:

- 1 piece construction
- Polished stainless steel
- Won't alter the appearance of my gun
- Optimized for 230 grain FMJ hardball ammo (if possible)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Kart makes an outstanding barrel, but they are not stainless. If it's SS you must have I would go with BarSto or Briley.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What's wrong with the Springfield barrel. In most cases it will out shoot the owner/operator.

If you must replace the barrel; Kart, Nowlin, BarSto, Clark, Storm Lake, all have drop-in/eze fit barrels. They will not change the look of the 1911.

FWIW, I have a Rock Island Armory 1911 that is off being used for an article in one of the gun rags. It has a factory barrel htat was crowned, had an NM bushing and a longer link. It shoots sub 2" groups for nine rounds at 15M, hand held.

Replacing a barrel is an expensive adventure, that most likely will not improve the performance of your 1911 markedly. It could have an adverse affect on the functioning and reliability.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's wrong with the Springfield barrel.
Nothing really. I'm just interested in different options when it comes to upgrading my Mil-Spec in the future.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
GI, don't get hung up on a SS barrel. That is why I recommended a Kart. I am yet to find a barrel that will out shoot a Kart. I have never had a timing problem with a Kart barrel either.The only other barrel I would consider is a Schuemann.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts