1911Forum banner

Barrel to Frame Measurements

698 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  wilsonmi
I'm sure I saw this in the Forum somewhere, but now I can't find it. Can someone please tell me how close the the edge of the barrel throat should come to edge of the frame ramp (with slide locked back)? One of my 45s is almost flush and on the other is about .025 in front of the frame ramp. They both feed fine.

Yes - that's right I only have 2 so far, but I promise to buy more.

Thanks
Mike:confused:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
461 Posts
According to the Wilson booklet, it says that the gap from the bottom of the barrel throat to the top edge of the feed ramp should be approximately 0.025" to 0.035".

The measurement is taken with the gun disassembled. The barrel is placed in the frame seat with the slide stop shaft inserted, then the barrel is pushed all the way down and back in the unlocked position.

No gap here would probably result in feeding problems.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
461 Posts
I'd agree with Jim on that...

Even if it were not in spec, the real test is proper feeding. If it feeds your rounds properly, don't mess with it!

I'd only consider a fix if it fails to properly feed. And I would have that work done by a pistolsmith...

just my two cents...

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't like to mess with things that aren't broke either. But I also noticed something else that wasn't in the first post. The lower lugs on the barrel were striking the frame a bit too much. All I did was order a shorter link and install it. This moved the barrel position a little, but not .025. The lugs still make contact, but not quite as hard. I went to the range and it still works fine.

Thanks
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.