1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bunch of the CMC 8rd power mags. I'm considering changing out the followers for something that will lock the slide back every time. I'm also thinking about changing the base pads out to something stronger. What are considered the 'best' followers and strongest base pads? Where can I get them?

Kevin

·
Banned
537 Posts
I just changed the base pads on two Power Mags with the Wilson Low Profile Steel this past weekend. They slipped right on with no problem. I also just ordered the Wilson springs and followers to replace the McCormick parts.

·
Banned
537 Posts
skynard1911, I got the spring and followers in and installed. They function perfectly, but they are only 7 rd. capacity. Just thought I'd update you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
For followers i recommend the Metalform's round top. I've using them on my 4 Wilsons 47D (now they are 7rounders) and there has not been a faiulure to lock the slide in over 100 rounds from each magazine. IMHO Wilson's plastic follower are crap, they worn out in less than a year. You can get the followers from Brownells.

620-000-004
Black Round Top Follower $6.64

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9210&title=1911+AUTO+MAGAZINES

·
Registered
645 Posts
skynyrd1911 -

For your Colt Defender you want kit #266-45C. I just put six of these kits in my CMC Shooting Star mags and they work perfectly. The mag capacity is still 7 rounds. Just ran 400 rounds through the six mags combined yesterday with no problems. Just make sure you get the 45C kit as these are made for Cold, Kimber and CMC mags. I don't know why they told you they don't have any kits for CMC because the kit #266-45C is what they told me over the phone to use for every mag other than Wilson. I don't remember who I talked to on the phone but his recomendation worked perfectly.

MadDog :p

·
Registered
434 Posts
Cool!! Thanks! I just can't understand why W/C can't get everyone on the same page. :confused: FedEx just delivered what was recommended to me for my Defender by W/C............#19. Only holds 6 rounds now......live and learn. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
769 Posts
yucapote said:
IMHO Wilson's plastic follower are crap, they worn out in less than a year.
The only problems I've had are with CMC Power mags. My Wilsons are over 3 years old with thousands of rounds through them. I clean them occassionally and have yet to have a problem. I got rid of all my power mags. The cheaper shooting stars seem better for me anyway. THough I don't trust them for carry or to use in matches.

My two bits.

Mark

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've NEVER had any problem with CMC mags........power or shooting star.............I just wanted a different follower for my Defender. For my full size Kimber I will continue to use CMC mags until one gives me a problem. Hope everyone has a great weekend! skynyrd1911

1 - 12 of 12 Posts