1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in exploring the feasibility of making an indoor range in my basement for .22 rimfire only. Are there any laws against this? Does this pose a health risk to my family? Does anyone have plans or suggestions on how to proceed?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Dear dennis, The NRA should be a good place to get help with designing your range. I know they have all sorts of plans etc... As for the legality of it you'll need to check your state and local laws. Things such as zoning and laws which prohibit the discharge of firearms within a certain distance of houses will be good places to start if you live in a residential area. Good luck and stay safe, Gary

·
Administrator
72,064 Posts
When I was a child a .22 rifle discharged inside my house. It went through the wall, through a rack of clothing, through the closet door, across the room, and deeply imbedded inside a hardwood dresser.

Make double-damn sure whatever you create has a strong backstop!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The gunsmith I used for many, many years did his .22 test shooting in his shop. That shop was attached to his house and was in town. I'm not sure of the legality, but there apparently never was any trouble over it.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You'll have to research the local laws for yourself. I had a basement range in my last house. I used 4' by 4' oak boards, nailed together 6" thick for a backstop. I found the center eroded in short order so I put an Outers 22 bullet trap in the center of the boards. It would handle gallery load lead wadcutter 38s too. I'd dump the lead from the trap into the weight box of my tractor. the basement had windows set in wells & I installed a fan in one with another open to provide cross ventilation. it worked out well for years...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Get an air rifle - it's easier.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ditto on the air rifle...although some of the "hotter" air rifles will run faster than many .22 loads. But at least you won't have quite as much noise and powder odor.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Beeman makes a great line of very accurate air rifles for target/hunting as well as some pistols with recoil. All high quality and good construction.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Buy a Shin Sung Career 707.... in .22.
Can't buy a more accurate air rifle for less then $1000.
6 to 10 shots lever action...
Air power adjustable from 6 to 80 foot pounds!
A butterfly fart for sound at the low end...
and an accurate hunting rifle at the top!
Just adjust it for "just under speed of sound" for the pellet you like to hunt with.
It's the single most versitile, quality air rifle on the market today.
Only..."don't" but from Cabela's.
Bet one set up from Mac1 in so. cal.
It will be perfect!

Then buy a grey electrical box from Home Depot, remove the hook up guts, and fill with 5 pounds of "duct Seal"...not plumbers putty!
It's the perfect indoor lead stopper.

And you're set!
GL,
Stocky

------------------
Anyone who isn't a paranoid schizophrenic now-a-days, just isn't thinking clearly!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I second Stocky's suggestion. A .22 cal Career from MAC-1 is as versatile as a gun could get.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
"Does this pose a health risk to my family?" - According to the Diane Feinsteins (and - as if Diane herself believes this
) and their institutional likenesses; merely "owning a gun" is a "health risk".

[This message has been edited by LAK (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
977 Posts
Only if you stand in front of the muzzle.

I remember reading a phrase from John Wayne many years ago, spoken through his son. He said, dad always told them to stand in front of a mule and behind a shotgun. Wiser words have not been spoken!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't forget about the lead. It can be dangerous with little ones around. Especially if inhaled for prolonged periods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts