1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this fits here..

I recently bought a couple CMC 8 rounders for carry and they work great! They came with basepads (3/8"??) and I was wondering how many of you use the pads on carry mags. My concern is that the loaded mag will print (I wear a Sparks Watch Six IWB...) Any thoughts?

Thanks, -Coop

[This message has been edited by Coop de Ville (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I use low profile Wilson baseplates on my mags. IMHO I think that extended baseplates are better suited to competition guns.

·
Registered
27,686 Posts
I use the Wilson .350 basepads on all my 8rd Wilson mags. They don't add that much and I have never had a problem with printing but I use a shirt or vest over a t-shirt or tank top. Trying to conceal a gun with a t-shirt you probably won't be able to use the basepads. These are single stacks of course.
Shane, yours are double stacks aren't they? From my experience with Para's, they are tougher to conceal. Or can you carry concealed in the Great White North?

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use the base pad mags as spares when I carry, while the mag in the pistol is a low profile Colt mag. Will switch that out for a Wilson low profile base when I get some extra cash.

I don't feel that the pad on the spares offers any concealability problem, but I do wonder about a thick basepad adding more length to a grip when trying to conceal the pistol IWB. OWB is not a problem cause I only carry like that when the weather is cold enough for a jacket.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by BillD:

Shane, yours are double stacks aren't they? From my experience with Para's, they are tougher to conceal. Or can you carry concealed in the Great White North?

Bill, you are correct - I love my Para's, but I do own a Colt Combat Commander, and this was the mags I was referring to. I don't believe that Wilson offers basepads for double stack mags. The factory Para basepads are actually very good, and low profile.

CCW in the Great White North??? Heeheehee...good one!

Most LEO's can't even carry concealed when off-duty up here!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I use the base pads when I carry. I'm a pretty big guy, so it isn't much of an issue for me. If you'd rather, there's nothing wrong with not using them on the magazine in the gun. I would, however, recommend using them on your spare magazine(s).

Billy Ray

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Personally, I like to have my in-the-gun carry mags not have a base pad (fits flush with mag well) or have the lowest profile possible. With less sticking up, there is less chance for printing. CMC base pads are pretty good-sized monsters and so I try to avoid having those in my gun when I carry.

My spare mags, I like those to have a base pad on them. When it comes time for a mag change, that extra lenght on the base pad helps assure me that I will get my mag inserted and seated properly. Sometimes with magazines that fit flush with the bottom of the gun, that can be a problem.

Of course, whether or not a base pad causes printing depends on your mode of dress. If the base pad is printing, chances are so are other parts of your gun. The base pad may simply be bringing this to light.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by Coop de Ville:
Hope this fits here..
<snip>
I was wondering how many of you use the pads on carry mags. My concern is that the loaded mag will print (I wear a Sparks Watch Six IWB...) Any thoughts?

Thanks, -Coop

[This message has been edited by Coop de Ville (edited 07-26-2001).]
Since most of my mags are Wilsons they all have some sort of pad... I prefer the thinnest steel version. However the mag in the gun is either a Mag-pac or a Devel 8 rounder because it is flush.

Mag-pac even has a "concealed carry" mag wich abreviates the "toe" but I rather like something to catch my finger on if the mag sticks in the gun.

Food for thought,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Jim. What's your feelings on the Mag-Pacs? I've had a pair for about 8 years now and they still seem to be working great.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My in gun mags are Mec Gar 7 round mags with no pad, my spare Mec Gar, has a 3/8 inch pad. Mormal carry is strong side, IWB with a Sparks SS. GLV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts