1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Colt make and/or sell any version of the Commander apart from the 1991? According to their web-site they are not. But people here keeps talking of them as if they still made them. Can anyone enlighten me?

· Registered
1,564 Posts
Colt makes a blue 1991 commander.
A stainless 1991 commander which has several of the "enhanced" features.
A XSE Commander and a LW Commander which both have aluminum triggers, front serrations, guide rod, wood grips. The LW is an aluminum frame version.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are they not on display on the Colt website? MSRP? Any of them available in duo-tone?
What do you think of the current Colt quality compared to other brands (Kimber, Springfield Armory etc).

· Registered
168 Posts
Colt has kind of a lazy website, they only show about half the pistols they make, and some of the photos they do show are outdated.
Expect to pay around $525 for a blued 1991 commander, $600 for a stainless 1991 commander, $750 for an XSE commander and lightweight commander. Give or take $30 or so depending on where you are in the country. They don't offer two-tone guns factory, but their custom shop could probably make one for you. Early this year, Colt began using CNC methods for manufacture, which resulted in tighter slide and barrel lockups with less slide rattle. These models are easily identified by their stainless steel barrels. I believe these newly manufactured Colts are better guns than Kimber or SA in terms of construction, reliability, fit, and toughness. Kimbers have nice frames and slides, but are full of MIM internals, which some folks (including me) don't trust. Now, just watch a Kimber fan come and blow that last comment up. Colt uses two MIM parts, I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). But they are not high-stress parts, and never would break anyway. SA are of good quality, but they are not fit as tight as a Colt. I know that they advertise forged or machined frames/slides, which is good. I think they are assembled in either Brazil or the Phillipenes if foreign guns bother you. Their base models sell at the same price as Colt's 1991, but I'm sure they don't have the same re-sale value. IMHO, if you've got less than $600 or so and you want a tight 1911, a Colt 1991 is your best bet by far.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have used and owned several Colt 1911s through the years (my first was a blued Delta Gold Cup). The thing is the Swedish (I live in Sweden) importer has great problems to obtain any pistols from Colt and It seems as if he doesn´t really know what models are in production. I asked for a Commander two years ago but havn´t seen one yet. And accordning to their website they don´t even make them anymore. But your expertise shed new light (hope?) on the issue.
Maybe I can get a Commander after all.
What do you think a Custom shop duo tone would cost (Black-t slide)

· Registered
168 Posts
Gee, (scratching my head). I have no idea what the custom shop would charge for a two-tone job. I would take a very wild guess to say they might want an extra $150, maybe. I'm not sure how the phone systems work where you are, but Colt's phone number is 1-800-962-COLT. And if you could get in touch with them I'm sure they'd tell you. If they don't offer the black-T slide, you could buy a blued commander and have the receiver hard chromed. Or you could buy a stainless commander and spray on the teflon finish yourself. I don't know much about applying teflon finishes but I do think it's pretty cheap if you do it yourself.

· Registered
1,984 Posts
Pelle, sounds like you need to check with another dealer. 1991A1 models, along with XSE Combat Commanders and Lightweight Commanders are currently available from a number of sources. Of course I have no clue as to the hoops a dealer has to jump through to import one of these for you.

· Registered
178 Posts
Does anybody know of a United States laww that would prohibit a citizen of the United States buying a 1911 and selling it to a foreign citizen...then sending it by USPS or UPS or whatever?

The reason I ask is that I have been in the delima that this man finds himself in only in the reverse......Available in Europe but not the US.

PigPen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.