1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up GI model 1911 later today and have some questions regarding basic tool/supplies for smoothing and melting edges. Also some minor fitting for oversized barrel bushing.Basically a cosmetic work to get used to working metal.(no ignition system work yet not up to it)

This is my Birthday gift to myself for making it through my first semester of college and will work it over til I'm finished so I have a graduation gift built myself.

Is their any tool that can be used from lowes or a home improvement store like that for these jobs?

I don't mind taking time to do it by hand I have all winter break from school to do this just not alot of money.(USAF vet student so its tight hahah)

any help or links to threads I may have missed would be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Fine files. 600 grit emery. 1200 grit emery. I hate to say the "D" word, but a Dremel. Some felt bobs for the "D" word. Some Flitz polish. You may want some fine wetstones in various grits/shapes. And patience - stock up on this especially.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I've never NEEDED a dremel for polishing. For larger surfaces, a large buffing wheel at a very slow speed is nice. If you want to keep something flat, plate glass and varying sandpapers work great.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Jerry Kuhnhausen 'The Colt .45 Automatic, A Shop Manual' should be first on your list. In it you will find tools, their uses and even some sources. Home improvement, hardware, and even auto supply stores will have tools you can use. Brownells catalog is a good source for tools and their illustrations sometimes enable you to improvise rather than purchase.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so far guys I ended up with a slightly used gi in good shape today.

I will look up that manual I just was trying to avoid buying a lot of tools online and grabbing locally but I may will have too. As for the dremel I have everything for that and ill have emery cloth tonite

1 - 5 of 5 Posts