1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bass Pro Shop of Orlando is not Second Amendment friendly. So, I drove over to look at, and perhaps buy, a rifle they advertised. Cash in hand I walked to the turnstiles to enter and there was THE sign. No firearms past this point! Oh, they will hold it for you but in the store you have no right. I get that as a store owner they have the right to put in place rules of their choosing. But, as a customer, I can and will shop elsewhere. The manager said, "We don't enforce that." But, people who honor the landowner's sign do not carry into the store. The irony of it all is that once I complied, I saw a display for shirts that said "Keep calm and carry a gun-always. The NRA." They actually had an NRA clothes section but I bought nothing from them

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I used a Bass Pro Shop for a handgun transfer once. They put a trigger lock on the pistol and wouldn't let me remove it until I was out of the store. It's hard to inspect the gun with that thing on there.

They won't see any more money from me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've seen plenty of "No Firearms" signs in everything from big box stores to mom and pop small businesses everywhere I've lived and traveled. Knowing which locations are legal no-no's, like gov buildings and schools, I've stopped looking for "No Firearms" signs because I know whether I should or shouldn't have a weapon on me, and act accordingly. In terms of private businesses with signage, if I don't get checked, I don't leave the gun behind.

The safety of my family and my God given right to defend myself and them trumps honoring the wishes of corporate America. That's a personal choice we each have to make, and I'll gladly leave if by chance I get made. That said, I've been carrying concealed for almost 20 years now in four different states, and I'm quite confident in my ability to conceal a pistol properly without the need to fidget with, or check it every 10 minutes like I did when I first started.

Florida in and of itself is a pretty "Pro-Gun" place, and as a Central Florida resident, I can attest. As a matter of fact, I've been in that Bass Pro many times as it's an annual Christmas shopping stop for the family. The fact that you were told by the store manager that the "No Firearms" policy is not enforced, doesn't surprise me a bit. It's the "Gunshine" State.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I bought a Remington SPS tactical a few weeks ago from the one in Palm Bay. I did not see a no firearms sign. They put the trigger lock on after I had inspected the gun and was ready to carry it out.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Cabelas in Allen no issues if you are concealed carry, walk in. If you are bringing in gun to sell, trade or such, it is inspected and carried for you. Yep you got it, today I was there took non Colt to trade for Colt. Checked in non Colt at check station, employee walked with me carrying non Colt, but I'm wearing my gun. We both laughed about it. So I make the trade, employee carries my new Colt out the door with me, I'm still wearing my gun. I'm not complaining, I do a lot of business in that library, I like the people and I do well on my deals, but the procedure is still a bit humerus. We must all remember there are folks out there selling guns they inherited and know nothing about safety, the stores are making an effort to keep all safe, the gun department is always a distance from the front door and if a non gun person were to have or cause an incident or accident it would make the bad news and we already have enough of that. We should endorse all safety and hope the non gun folks see the steps the gun folks take to stay safe. The kids are watching even if the adults are not.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Beware Bass Pro's policy of having you fill out paperwork for a gun purchase on their laptop .
Not only does it create a permanent record retained by the store , it takes three times as long .
I'm told you can insist on doing it manually .

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
The manager said, "We don't enforce that." But, people who honor the landowner's sign ......

So it is the Land Owner not Bass Pro that is wanting you to not carry. The manager stated point blank that they, meaning the store, does NOT enforce that.

Yet you are blaming the store. :scratch:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
If you must blame someone - blame the insurance industry and the legal industry.
Or the cowardly and lazy gun owners that won't stand up to them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it is the Land Owner not Bass Pro that is wanting you to not carry. The manager stated point blank that they, meaning the store, does NOT enforce that.

Yet you are blaming the store. :scratch:
With all respect, and perhaps it is the lawyer in me, but I presume that BPS owns its store. Make no mistake it was BPS that posted the sign, not some real estate holding company.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
With all respect, and perhaps it is the lawyer in me, but I presume that BPS owns its store. Make no mistake it was BPS that posted the sign, not some real estate holding company.
I understand that logic sir. The BPS that is near me is in a large shopping center and I would not even begin to think that they own the land. Are there any other stores that share the lot?

This is not Bass Pro corprate's stance though, there is no sign at mine, so I still find it hard to believe that the store was responsible. Especially since the manager told you that they do not enforce it.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Or the cowardly and lazy gun owners that won't stand up to them.
This is not just happening with things related to guns. The legal/judicial system have really changed the way we must navigate thru life these days. So many are sue happy and there are plenty of lawyers (sorry OP) for them to turn too. Then the politics come into play and the judges refuse to error on the side of logic to shut them down.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Did a tiny bit of research on BPS and it seems that they build their stores using a lot of taxpayer money aka subsidies.

This little bit of info is about a CA store and may not apply to your store but it does show that they do not own all land they sit on, if any of it.

The incentives debate is of little concern to shoppers at the Rancho Cucamonga Bass Pro, an outlet that, along with the building’s landlord, will collect municipal payments of as much as $1.1 million a year, according to city financial documents. The company said it pays “multimillion dollars” in annual rent, and made a “substantial” investment to open the store.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Beware Bass Pro's policy of having you fill out paperwork for a gun purchase on their laptop .
Not only does it create a permanent record retained by the store , it takes three times as long .
I'm told you can insist on doing it manually .
Its fast and easier. As for store retaining it for their records,doesnt an ffl have to?

·
Banned
346 Posts
Did a tiny bit of research on BPS and it seems that they build their stores using a lot of taxpayer money aka subsidies.

This little bit of info is about a CA store and may not apply to your store but it does show that they do not own all land they sit on, if any of it.
Every corporation or big business gets subsidies. Duh. Thats how cities incentivize them to come.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Signs carry no force of law in Florida, if I need to go in I just walk past them. That being said, I try to avoid giving that business my money

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I understand that logic sir. The BPS that is near me is in a large shopping center and I would not even begin to think that they own the land. Are there any other stores that share the lot?

This is not Bass Pro corprate's stance though, there is no sign at mine, so I still find it hard to believe that the store was responsible. Especially since the manager told you that they do not enforce it.
It was inside the store and used the same color and print that all of the BPS signs [restrooms, customer service] in the area. It was placed there by BPS and not some sign-slinging realtor. the manager said she had to "make corporate happy" Now, I know that different communities take different approaches, but this store has seen the last of me. That is particularly ironic given the NRA section where they had all kinds of "carry a gun" shirts and hats.

I say this with all respect to those here, in my view the anti-gun lobby is much, much, better at pressuring businesses to ban guns than are the pro-second amendment people in opposing bans. I go out of my way to support those whom respect my rights and to not support those who would take them away. And for those who suggest that we just carry anyway, that could carry legal consequences if you are discovered. So, why support the opposition? I will have my LGS order me the product and gladly pay a few dollars more to buy from it, much like I try to buy American where possible.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts