1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bauer .25 that I've had for years, shot it a couple of times, but now it's mostly a "drawer" gun. I've researched, as much as I can find, mostly on-line, of the history of Bauer (just for personal interest). Production 1972 thru 1984, etc., etc., etc. Most every article states that the Bauer building "burned to the ground in 1986, a couple of years after production ceased." I have an original Bauer brochure from the period that shows the Bauer building at 34750 Klein Ave., Fraser, Mich. , a nice modern facility.
My problem is that now when I pull this address up on street-view satellite map, BINGO, there's the building, a little older, no Bauer signs, of course, but certainly not "burned to the ground?" Does anyone have any details on the Bauer building?
I can only surmise that 1.) the building burned and was rebuilt back exactly as it was; or 2.) that one of the earlier "historians" on Bauer got it totally wrong and subsequent "historians" simple copied his error?
Anyone from Fraser, Mich. have any first-hand knowledge on this?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Seem to recall that the company's existence was ended by an expensive divorce, not destruction of the factory. My memory may be tricking me though, this was gleaned over drinks outside the SHOT Show some years back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bauer

I've also read an article that told of the 'divorce'. I originally wondered if that had any connection to the building burning down; but now it appears the building never burned! Could have been a story fabricated to try to help 'mask' the publicity of a nasty divorce?

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
Maybe they just disappeared because of normal business reasons: Low sales, vendor problems, labor costs, a few bad quarters, etc.

Companies fail all the time.

This is the safest assumption unless more compelling (& credible) evidence is found.

But really, it does not matter. Especially if the pistol's parts interchange with whatever Browning design it's probably copied from.

Do you like the gun? Is it well made?

·
Super Moderator
13,498 Posts
. Most every article states that the Bauer building "burned to the ground in 1986, a couple of years after production ceased." I have an original Bauer brochure from the period that shows the Bauer building at 34750 Klein Ave., Fraser, Mich. , .
My problem is that now when I pull this address up on street-view satellite map, BINGO, there's the building, a little older, no Bauer signs, of course, but certainly not "burned to the ground?" Does anyone have any details on the Bauer building?
I can only surmise that 1.) the building burned and was rebuilt back exactly as it was; or 2.) that one of the earlier "historians" on Bauer got it totally wrong and subsequent "historians" simple copied his error?
I'm not from Fraser, MI nor ever been there.

But could it be that since this building burn down in 1986, another building has been built on this site?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts