1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to the Fugate Firearms site occasionally and today I saw what they are calling a "BB marked pre-70" government model. And, OK, it's got "BB" stamped below the serial number. Price is $3,100. I am only curious - now is not the right time for me to spend 3 grand on anything - does anyone know why the BB marking is important? What does it mean, and why would someone pay extra for it?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
BB stands for barrel bushing. Those BB models were the predecessors to the Series 70 pistols with the collet bushing. About 1500 of these pistols were made in 1969 or 1970 and marked such as they were the test-bed pistols for the manufacturing and assembling techniques.

I really don't see anything special about these pistols other than the BB marking and the pistol's place in the history of the Government Model line. And that's not worth paying $3K+ to me. A regular Colt Series 70 with collet bushing is good enough for me.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
The "BB" Government Models became instant collectibles the moment they were released to market, which is why you see so many in mint or near-new conditon. I agree $3000+ is a bit rich for one, but that's what everybody seems to try and sell them for these days.

·
Registered
23,175 Posts
Given they were sort of the trying to get the collet barrel bushing right I am amazed they are worth more than Series 70. I am amazed at what I see people pay for some things.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Given they were sort of the trying to get the collet barrel bushing right I am amazed they are worth more than Series 70. I am amazed at what I see people pay for some things.
I bought mine because I got a great price on it and it is the last of the commercial pre 70 roll mark guns...mine was actually an auction gun that slipped through the cracks and I was the only bidder...I'm happy for what I have in her

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
Well, we all know about Singers even though they're not even the rarest of 1911s in the literal sense. Some guns just develop a mystique about them that draws collectors to them like a bug light.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Every gun they sell should also come with at least a 1oz. 24kt gold bar.:)
Haha! I'm glad somebody else out there has the same sentiments. I understand that they're in business to make money, but Jiminy Cricket, their prices are insanely high.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
Fugate and the other specialty gun sellers are a lot like the car dealers that specialize in classic or 60's muscle cars. If you find something you like, chances are you won't be able to afford it.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
One in 95% condition was for sale here locally 2 years ago for $1600. Someone probably bought it at that price but it was for sale for months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts