1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to one and all(look out newby on deck)!I am going to be purchasing a 45 in the commander style(baer or wilson)and was wondering if there is any discernable difference between the original bushing style and the style on the wilson(heavy bbl fitted to slide without bushing)? I have had a couple of Colts in the past but have been away from them for almost a decade.I had good luck with a full size and bad luck with two officer models.I was told this was because of the bbl system and extremely short slide cycle on the O.M. Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks

------------------
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' sombody else's dog around!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I once owned three Officer's Model Colt pistiol. Feeding ammo was never dependable in any one of them. I sold all three and some years later bought a Kimber Combat Carry (Officer size frame, 4 inch barrel. It fed ammo great. 2300 rounds at Thunder Ranch without a hiccup. But they aren't Les Baer pistols, which I have come to really like. My Baer Stinger has an Officer size frame with a Commander (4-1/4")slide and barrel. The extra barrel length poses no concealability problem and the Officer frame helps concealability. I have been impressed with it in all respects. It functions and is very accurate. I still have the Kimber as backup to the Stinger in case of a parts breakage or for some reason that I might not have the Stinger in my possesion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've never owned one of the compact Wilson guns, but I have owned two Kimber Compacts, which utilize the same bushingless barrel system. As used by Wilson and Kimber, this system requires the use of a full-length guide rod. In order to dissasemble the slide you must first lock the recoil spring/guide rod assembly into place using a small tool. In my opinion, this unnecessarily complicates take-down. I personally prefer the standard bushing and recoil spring system, as found on Commander-length 4.25" guns, as you can dismantle the slide without the need for additional tools. I've also become wary of any 1911 design with a slide group shorter than 4.25" as far as reliability is concerned. From my own experiences with two 4" Kimbers and a 4" Springfield Champion, they tend to be somewhat finicky. 50 years of the 4.25" Commander slide group has proven it to be as reliable as the original 5" 1911.

I almost bought a Stinger once and may still do so one day in the future. It's a great little package that sells for less than most other Les Baers or Wilsons. In my opinion it's a good buy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info gents........I have decided to order a Les Baer Concept VII(basically a commander).They say 6-8 weeks...........so hopefully Santa will come a little early. THANKS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts