1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I failed to do a few nights ago while hand priming with a Hornady tool and Winchester primers.

My finger was somehow exposed to the open case mouth and when a primer detonated during the priming process my finger picked up a few small fragments.

I wasn't paying enough attention to where my fingers were as well as not paying enough attention to the task at hand.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Got to thinking about detonating primers after reading your post. I've loaded more shotgun, pistol and rifle shells than I could even begin to count over the last 10 years. Metallic on RCBS single stage and MEC grabber for shotshells. I've never had a primer detonation. Wonder how many others have had detonated primers and others that have never had a primer detonation.

------------------
There are 1911's and those that wish they were

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glad you're OK. We all need to keep in mind that we are working with dangerous materials when reloading. A moment of inattention is all it takes.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
177 Posts
Amen, I always wear my glasses when reloading for that very reason. I also had a primer detonate in my Pro 1000. Sure does get your attention.

[This message has been edited by scarman (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
First off, you are all right? Not typing with one hand? We all make mistakes, just that we drive the point home to others when we do so.
Still, that has to be painful, hope all returns to normal as quickly as possible.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Hope you're OK WP. I have never had a primer detonate, but I am always careful to keep my fingers away from the case mouth, and to have the brass pointed away from me when I hand press.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm glad you are relatively okay, Walking Point.

I've never had a primer detonate on me, but I've had them go in crooked and even come out of the primer tube upside down.
I sometimes wonder why none have ever popped.

Regardless, I load on a Rock Chucker, and I always seat a primer with some of that big, sturdy steel machine between my face and the mouth of the case. I've been doing it so long that I don't even remember starting the habit.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Walking Point, do you have any idea what caused the primer to detonate?

I haven't had a detonation yet but your message has reminded me to prepare for the unexpected.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the concern, but while the reaction of my heart was major, the actual injury to the finger was minor.

I was basically priming in "auto mode" and believe I may have short stroked the tool and allowed a second primer on the priming arm. While I don't recall applying any excessive effort, apparently it was enough to cause one of the primers to go off.

I could find no evidence of a second primer, and I unfortunately just dropped the primed(?) case into the "finished" box. A search of each primed case failed to turn up one that looked fired. This left me with no choice but to classify the 250 rounds loaded with these cases as practice ammo since there's surely a dud in there somewhere.

The only possibility is that the second primer blew to pieces and those pieces are hiding in the carpet somewhere.

The only wierd thing is that I've done all kinds of things to CCI primers without a mishap, yet as soon as I change to Winchester primers this happens. Could just be bad luck in addition to taking a dangerous operation for granted. This does convince me to stick with the RCBS priming tool that I've always favored.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Walking Point,
I have had primers in my Rock Chucker go in the case at an angle, ending up being badly bent/deformed and not detonate. This amazed me as I thought primers were kinda fragile. Perhaps I need to rethink this. I've yet to have one go off with me. I haven't used the hand primer since I put the piggy back unit on. Thanks for the post as this can serve to remind us to take all the appropriate precautions all the time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm glad you can still count to ten without taking off your shoes W.P.

I've lost count of how many times I've cringed when I read someone posting a comment about getting some cases and primers ready to do a little priming while they watch TV. I may be a little cautious, but I prefer to do all my reloading steps at my bench in the shop outside my house where there are no distractions.

I've become quite attached to most of my body parts and have paid a few doctors a lot of money to keep some of them in working order. I dislike the idea of doing anything that might make those doctors even more wealthy.

------------------
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
Humphrey Bogart

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
..sounds like you disintegrated the "extra" primer...maybe that's why none shows "fired" in the batch you checked. Kinda' loud idn'it?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
been reloading 42 years,started helping Dad,never had a primer go off. have had primers go in upside down, and side ways,the side way one really don't "feel right" when seated,surprised me they didn't go bang.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You better believe it's loud, especially when you aren't expecting it!

I've crushed and otherwise mutilated CCI primers with no ill effects, but even though these were WW primers my luck could have just finally run out.

I'll find out where the primer went when I fire these test loads. If all of them go bang, then the second primer must have blasted itself into nothing (besides what ended up in my finger).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts