1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So, two weeks ago it was below zero temps with what are now going to be Record Electric Bills and Home Heating Gas/Fuel Bills after Power Outages.

Now, the "Disaster" is going to be that many people cannot pay the bills that will come due.

So I think that a lot of People should learn to "Be Prepared" on two fronts. Logistics, but also Financial.

In our home, we worked long and hard to be able to set back financial sources to cover 6 months of expenses if there was an unexpected interruption.
In our retirement, we set back one years worth that we do not touch unless there is an EMERGENCY.

We also deposited 1/12 every month what we knew to be "Fixed Expenses" like Property Tax, Home Insurance, Vehicle Insurance, and other expenses that many people seem to panic at when the bills come due, even though they have to know that the bills will come due.

And yes, I know it's sometimes difficult to set money back, but I think a lot of that is due to lack of budgeting.

Financial Priorities were always:

Food
Shelter
Transportation
Utilities

They always came first before any other considerations.

So at a minimum, I'd think it'd be a good idea for all families to work to set back the following reserves for "Disasters".

3-6 months of food and other consumable items, including household supplies like laundry products, personal hygiene products and of course Toilet Paper
(Rotate Supplies to insure Freshness. I learned a Valuable Skill working in a Grocery Store as a Teen)

3-6 months worth of money to provide shelter, including Property Taxes, Renters Insurance, Homeowners Insurance.
Also a Tent, Camp Stove, Sleeping Bags and a Bugout Bag with a weeks worth of Medications, a change of clothes, shoes, belt, and $100-$200 in cash (small bills) for each person. I also have a loaded Model 10 Smith with 2 extra speed loaders and a shoulder holster in mine. We change out the clothing seasonally and rotate meds through to keep meds fresh. Also included is a small Toiletry kit with toothbrush, toothpaste as well as an IFAK with Ibuprofen, Benadryl, Antibiotic Ointment, Bandaids, Bandages, Trauma Clotting Bandage, and extra Bandana's (useful for sweat rags, bandages, slings, etc) and a Lifestraw Water Purification Straw.

We have a generator and proper generator switch, with enough fuel to run 2 weeks.

Our vehicles are always kept on the top half of the tank and I keep the Oil Changes/Lube and other maintenance updated so that as much as possible they're ready to go if needed

And then, I keep enough money back to pay out Utilities and other basic expenses for a year, but I'd think 3-6 months would be a good Minimum.

Anyone that is able to, should work up to having one year in reserve for supplies or expense money.

Currently, people are finding themselves short on money to pay for inflated utility bills due to the recent cold snap.
Setting back at least 3-6 months would help defray that.

All of the above is done in conjunction with or in addition to keeping my 6 B's in reserve.

Beans
Bullets
Bullion
Booze
Benjamins and
Butt Wipe.

We keep our bug out bags in the basement in the same area we have water bottles, flashlights, a heavy blanket to shield us from debris, a battery operated radio, extra batteries and a Luggable Loo Bucket to use as a potty if needed. We use Kitchen Trash Bags as a liner, just twist after using to seal off odors.

So if we have to seek shelter in a hurry, or bug out due to whatever reason, we have everything we need in one central location.

Right now, it's 70 here when it was -17 with a 35 below 0 windchill two weeks ago.

Tornado Season is on the way.

Accompanying that will be Spring Thunderstorms, Flooding Rains and other disasters that can disrupt our lives and damage our homes.

I fully believe that "Be Prepared" is a prudent course of action to take at all times, regardless of where you live.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've never really thought of myself as "prepper" per say ... but I'm in the "last house" .... last house in the city limits, last house at the end of a dead end road, last house at the end of the power, cable and water lines. So if anything happens up the line it can effect me. So I've learned to prepare or as I say, "Look to the future and prepare for the worst".

I have nice little portable generator, ... I keep 25 gallons of gas stored safely for it. Many gallons of both drinking water and cleaning or flushing water. Several battery operated lanterns and a big stash of batteries of all sizes. I have small propane cooking stove and a case of 1# propane bottles to run it.

We have a good stock of foods, enough to last us at least a month and several cases of extra cat food too.

And a note on having a battery radio ... make sure you get one with the NOAA Weather Band.... that's a must have for your emergency radio. It can not only get the weather but other emergency broadcasts as well. A local chemical plant here had a major fire with dangerous fumes and information was being continually being run over NOAA. Get one.

Oh ... and I have ammo ... lots of ammo ....

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
My woodstove is my main source of heat 24/7. My oil burner hot water heat is backup. I have a stash of food. I grow my own veggies and fruit in the summer. I have a generator.

My next move, is to add a diesel tractor and add 275 gallon oil tank to my other 275 gallon tank. A 10,000 watt diesel welder generator. Pto driven log splitter, solar powdered 12 volt electrical system, well pump/lights, frig/freezer.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I stocked up on flour for fresh bread, pancake mix, maple syrup, all baking stuff even cookies and brownies for the kids.
Canned tomato sauce, macaroni, dried Parma cheese, canned butter, ect.

Reactions: PaulWVa

·
Registered
25,325 Posts
Just throwing this in here because it fits. Practice clearing your house! Front to back, bottom to top, inside and out etc. The time to learn is not when you come home to find the front door kicked in.
If I come home and find my front door kicked in. I will just take cover and wait for them to come out. Just sayin.

·
Registered
25,325 Posts
That is great unless someone you care about might still be inside.
If the only other person that lives in my house is in there when someone kicks the door in. Then the person that kicked the door in is likely dead anyway. So that does not really enter into the equation for my house.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As an Eagle Scout since 1966, I concur with all of the previous suggestions.

I also have done as standard practice everything that has been suggested.
Food, ammo, medications, $$, hygiene items, etc., all kept stocked up.

Last October, I added a 24KW natural gas whole house generator (Generac).
Works like a charm with the two recent outages we've had (seamless).

Be Prepared!

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just going to add this in folks, but file it under PO for Personal Opinion.....

Many Financial Crisis/Disasters happen in October.

I'm seeing a number of economic conditions that remind me of Octobers in past years and decades that wound up being Financial and Economic Disasters.

So "Be Prepared".

Stock up on my 6 B's.

Pay Off or Pay Down Debts.

Set aside 6 months to a year of expense money. If you can't, set back what you can.

and then BOHICA, cause I have a feeling..........

If I'm wrong, no harm, no foul, and you have some reserves set aside.

If I'm right, then it might make a humongous difference for you and your family members.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is all great advice unless you owe any bank any money on your house your vehicle, etc. Make no mistake about it. This is how they plan on taking America down. Got a car loan? Got a house mortgage?
There is a reason they put Yellen in that job.
Get liquid and don’t owe a dime to any institution.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's been easy for me to save 60%+ of my salary since 2008, as I make
a respectable income, and I've been debt free for several years, so I
don't have any money woes. I've always been a "prepper" so I'm quite
ready for "SHTF" scenarios which could occur.

However, the vast majority of citizens are in debt, don't make enough
money to properly support their "lifestyle", don't think much about the
"what if's", and they're certainly not (anywhere) close to being even
"somewhat prepared" for (even) "short term" calamities.

These are the people who'll "freak out" and cause all kinds of trouble
when they get desperate, and will quickly become the "enemy" of all
of use who've been more "forward thinking" about the what if's.

People tend to be very complacent and get too "comfortable" here in
America, and believe "that will never happen", "the Government will
take care of things", etc., and always say/think "I'll deal with that when
it happens".....

·
Registered
25,325 Posts
This is all great advice unless you owe any bank any money on your house your vehicle, etc. Make no mistake about it. This is how they plan on taking America down. Got a car loan? Got a house mortgage?
There is a reason they put Yellen in that job.
Get liquid and don’t owe a dime to any institution.

Been there and done that.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Something not sayed we live near the Gulf Coast, pictures.
At the start of hurricane season before a hurricane we take all pictures off walls carry to storage unit 35 miles away!
Very important to keep autos near full of gas!
As said we keep xxx dollars in hand and in different places. You might get some cash but not all!
Plan ahead !!
We just came home from IDA .
Autos lined up very long lines very, two stations out of 15 with gas. received power last night at 8:30.
Yes other stuff to do.
If you have dogs or cat, food water meds.
Two of us two pick up trucks one car packed full just room for Dog.
Let y'all go , unpacking.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Something not sayed we live near the Gulf Coast, pictures.
At the start of hurricane season before a hurricane we take all pictures off walls carry to storage unit 35 miles away!
Very important to keep autos near full of gas!
As said we keep xxx dollars in hand and in different places. You might get some cash but not all!
Plan ahead !!
We just came home from IDA .
Autos lined up very long lines very, two stations out of 15 with gas. received power last night at 8:30.
Yes other stuff to do.
If you have dogs or cat, food water meds.
Two of us two pick up trucks one car packed full just room for Dog.
Let y'all go , unpacking.
Glad you are safe; the cleanup is always the hard part.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts