1911Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Something not sayed we live near the Gulf Coast, pictures.
At the start of hurricane season before a hurricane we take all pictures off walls carry to storage unit 35 miles away!
Very important to keep autos near full of gas!
As said we keep xxx dollars in hand and in different places. You might get some cash but not all!
Plan ahead !!
We just came home from IDA .
Autos lined up very long lines very, two stations out of 15 with gas. received power last night at 8:30.
Yes other stuff to do.
If you have dogs or cat, food water meds.
Two of us two pick up trucks one car packed full just room for Dog.
Let y'all go , unpacking.
May things go as well as possible.

·
Registered
25,325 Posts
My wife and I have long been actively strengthening our bulwarks against adversity as best we can for years. I think that barring the unforeseen we are in pretty good shape. My biggest concern at this point is outside "help" Of late I have even been stepping up the stove wood supply from a two years supply to a three years supply. And currently keeping an eye out for another 275 gallon tank to store diesel in.

People are losing it though! Saw this joker driving down the road just yesterday.

·
Premium Member
11,806 Posts
Absolutely right. But I did not just start looking at this yesterday. My wife and I have been getting our house in order for well over a decade.
(y) Kudos for taking the bull by the horns.
My comment goes to the premise that no matter how well prepared you are there is always something that you forgot, did not anticipate, did not have the resources for at the time, or that you didn't do well enough your first or second swing at it. So it is a constant cycle of review, maintain, improve. Much as we did in the Army - establish your defensive position and continue to improve it when you are not engaged in the fight. Good enough is never good enough. Obviously you have figured that out or you own version of that anyway. Just a thought for those who have not thought that far ahead.

·
Registered
25,325 Posts
(y) Kudos for taking the bull by the horns.
My comment goes to the premise that no matter how well prepared you are there is always something that you forgot, did not anticipate, did not have the resources for at the time, or that you didn't do well enough your first or second swing at it. So it is a constant cycle or review, maintain, improve. Much as we did in the Army - establish your defensive position and continue to improve it when you are not engaged in the fight. Good enough is never good enough. Obviously you have figured that out or you own version of that anyway. Just a thought for those who have not thought that far ahead.
Read you loud and clear! You do the best that you can. Certainly if an emergency appendectomy or other medical emergency would confront us. We would be in difficult circumstances. Some things you have limited or no control over. My immediate neighbors have been the cause of some concern inasmuch as they are not well situated for a long term grid down situation for a number of reasons. They do however have their hearts and minds in the right places as far as I can see, as they will give what they have and are willing to face adversity as it presents itself.

However there are any number of people in the area that allow themselves to subsist day by day. If they have a half of last nights pizza left over in the refrigerator with a few more beers and a half a pack of cigarettes' they will likely remain fairly docile. A number of studies have indicated as much. But going beyond that I can see, a number of these people going feral in pretty short order. It has been said any number of times that we are only nine meals away from anarchy. Best to believe that.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm guessing that in large cities such as NYC for example, that building up any reserves is difficult to impossible given the logistics involved.

Can you imagine living in a high rise building and there being a massive longterm blackout or longterm disruption of major services?

I'm contemplating what is going to happen if all of the major transportation arteries are disrupted or blocked. What do you suppose is going to be the long term effect of that?

But even in that situation, people can "Prepare" as much as possible for their location and circumstances.

It'd be interesting to know what percentage of New Yorkers in NYC have more than a couple of days of supplies laid in.

Sadly, I've got relatives like those described by USMM guy.

I don't want them as Neighbors.

Reactions: ruffdup

·
Premium Member
11,806 Posts
I'm guessing that in large cities such as NYC for example, that building up any reserves is difficult to impossible given the logistics involved.

Can you imagine living in a high rise building and there being a massive longterm blackout or longterm disruption of major services?

I'm contemplating what is going to happen if all of the major transportation arteries are disrupted or blocked. What do you suppose is going to be the long term effect of that?
You need only look at New Orleans post Katrina, Houston post Harvey, or any other recent major natural disaster event to see just how unprepared most are.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I am curious as to how folks define Collapse. If its that bad, nation wide, do you think the county is gonna take your house for not paying your property tax? I agree you need to save and have currency in various forms, but a collapse, to me is a lack of societal control. No one is coming to repo your house in those conditions.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
As far as being prepared it doesn't hurt to actually have a Boy Scout Handbook .
As a printed, compact survival guide, hard to beat. Dad's from the '50s and mine from the '70s are on my "HOWTO" bookshelf.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The Boy Scout field book is the handbook on steroids. I have both of mine from the 60,s

·
Registered
simplify
376 Posts
The book that has served me the most and best is "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher . I have used the 4 versions of it for 50 years . Its not a survival book but the skills thought ant the equipment recommended have all been personally tested by the author ,and a lot of it by me in CA, OR and AK.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
The Boy Scout field book is the handbook on steroids. I have both of mine from the 60,s
Dad had that from [ from his time in Explorers? ]: I remember seeing it in the '60s - '70s. Not sure I salvaged that during his latest downsize ... but I know where to look.

Reactions: mdslye

·
Registered
simplify
376 Posts
The magazine that helps tremendously is 'The Backwoodsman ' new articles and reprints from the last 300 years . Believe me the only real thing that has changed is the equipment .

21 - 37 of 37 Posts