1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of bead blasting the frame of my TLE for a two tone effect.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

I am worried that there will be more play between the frame and slide.

Should I send it out to be done or find a shop locally that can do this?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing with a Kimber TLE, until it was pointed out to me that the grip safety, thumb safety, slide stop, etc., may not all be stainless like the frame. You could end up with an odd combination of stainless and carbon steel parts. I don't know how you could determine beforehand what each part is made from. If anyone else knows, I would much appreciate any info on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Stainless steel can be magnetic (ferrous). All that is required to be called stainless is that it contain at least 10% chromium. A magnet will stick to some and some not. It depends if there is any iron or not. Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most stainless steel is magnetic. The old man is a mechanical engineer and I heard this from him (I'm an engineering student, but haven't gotten this far yet lol). Apparently, most machined items such as firearms, are a low grade stainless, still very good though. Extremely high grade stainless that is not magnetic, is too soft to machine properly, and will not last as long as far as a wearing part such as a slide or frame. Stainless will even rust if not properly maintained. I have a friend who has a stainless Beretta 92 (I'm not Beretta bashing, I love mine) and it had specks of rust on the slide. My stainless Kimber even had a extremely small spot of rust on the inside of the slide when I first bought it. Just my 2 cents here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts