1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has done their Bear in Bear Coat finish? I'm sending my Concept VII in for a solid trigger and possible change out the ambi safety (still can't decide). Wanting to know how durable the finish is? Looking for an all weather gun for duty, so needs to hold up to all the elements. thanks.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I have had a few LB's that were BearCoated by the company LB uses for the finish http://www.bearcoat.com/

It is a Teflon finish and they have a great guarantee/warranty..you will be hard pressed to get a bearcoated gun to rust...even a little bit.

The problem I had with it was it scratched up easily and had a slick feel to it.

Black T is similar to Bearcoat ..both finishes will wear after many holster presentations...Melonite/Tenifer does not wear...The Glocks you see that show wear is the black parkerizing over the Tenifer that is wearing...I've scratched Glock slides with keys..knives..forks and all it does is take off the parkerizing ..never scratches into the Tenifer...cuz it cannot

Some pics of a BearCoated LB I owned a few years back

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Bear Coat has been reformulated from their earlier product and has much improved wear characteristics. My son's TRC is a newer Bear Coat finished weapon and has no noticeable wear right now.

Arguably the best black finish out there now is IonBond. Wears longer than anything else currently available and unlike Melonite can be applied to all parts of a weapon.

I've been very happy with the Black T finish on my TRS, if I ever decide to have it refinished, I'll go with the IonBond. Check with John Harrison for a wonderful analysis of the various finishes.

My pics are in the other thread asking about Black T.

·
Registered
313 Posts
doc45 said:
Bear Coat has been reformulated from their earlier product and has much improved wear characteristics. My son's TRC is a newer Bear Coat finished weapon and has no noticeable wear right now.

Arguably the best black finish out there now is IonBond. Wears longer than anything else currently available and unlike Melonite can be applied to all parts of a weapon.

I've been very happy with the Black T finish on my TRS, if I ever decide to have it refinished, I'll go with the IonBond. Check with John Harrison for a wonderful analysis of the various finishes.

My pics are in the other thread asking about Black T.

Ionbond TRS pics here http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=188051 :rock:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bearcoat

I had my TRS Bearcoated and it seems to be holden up fine. I carry it almost every day in a leather holster and no sign of wear. I like the slick feel.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have it on my SRP that I just got a few months ago.....I like it so far.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Both Black-T and Bear Coat are superior in corrosion resistance to IonBond DLC. If that's your criterion; cup-O-tea, go with Bear Coat. IonBond DLC, in terms of wear, is (based on data) as hard-wearing as it gets.

My, "Nuovo Formula" Bear Coated SRP is showing great toughness. I couldn't be happier. However, I have a PII on the way to be Black-T'd.

Rust is my enemy. Worn look is my friend. YMMV.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Both Black-T and Bear Coat are superior in corrosion resistance to IonBond DLC. If that's your criterion; cup-O-tea, go with Bear Coat. IonBond DLC, in terms of wear, is (based on data) as hard-wearing as it gets.

My, "Nuovo Formula" Bear Coated SRP is showing great toughness. I couldn't be happier. However, I have a PII on the way to be Black-T'd.

Rust is my enemy. Worn look is my friend. YMMV.

They are definitely more resistant, I agree... But I prefer a finish that holds up to abrasion first and also defends against corrosion second. Here's a Quote from my other topic:

John Harrison said:
Hi James,

The name of the company is IonBond, LLC in Greensboro, NC. The finish is called "DLC" in the firearms industry. It's hard to accurately do an apples to apples comparison of the finishes, since they are apples, oranges, bananas and grapefruits, but here's my short $0.02 worth.

Bear Coat and Black-T are sorta cousins in that they are sprayed on coatings that are baked at a fairly low temp to cure. So long as their skin is not broken, they have the highest advertised salt spray corrosion test numbers, like a 1,000 hours or such.

Neither Bear Coat or Black-T is particularly resistant to abrasion, when compared to Melonite and DLC, although they are more durable than bluing and Parkerizing, maybe because the coating thickness is greater. Folks will argue that one is appreciably more durable than the other but I just can't see a huge difference myself. My own experience with using Black-T on a bunch of pistols and Bear Coat on a few is the chief difference to me is that often times the Bear Coat was so thick as to require a bit of controlled sanding in concealed places to get the parts back together after being finished in Bear Coat. I've never had an assembly problem with Black-T, even on fairly tight guns.

Melonite and DLC are a more fair comparison to each other as both are really hard on the Rockwell "C" scale. DLC is advertised at 70 to 90. I don't know about Melonite, but would expect a similar test result. Melonite is a surface treatment that is finished off in Black Oxide (think bluing) where DLC is a PVD (physical vapor deposition) coating. From my experience, the black color is more durable on DLC. To me, the big difference between these two is the temperatures involved. Melonite is done at temps around 1200 degrees, give or take; where DLC is done at 400 degrees (just a little hotter than bluing tanks). Aside from the obvious difference in temperatures that the gun is subjected to, this means is that the smaller parts like extractor, pins, screws, sear, hammer, magazine catch, etc. cannot be finished in Melonite. They have to be finished in black oxide or a spray on finish. With DLC, all the parts can be done.

DLC's salt spray test time is claimed at 48 hours. Bluing fails in under 3 hours normally. I don't know what Melonite is rated at.

I did have a lot of problems reassembling pistols treated with Melonite, mostly having to lap fit the slide & frame rails after the treatment. I've had no problems with DLC with reassembly.

Melonite seems to only be available in matte finishes, where DLC can be done on polished surfaces and in my eyes, looks so much like bluing that you can hardly tell.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here's a pic I just took of my son's TRC in Bear Coat after roughly 2k rounds:

The specs are just dust particles, virtually no wear.
How many draws from a holster?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well, as far as draw count from leather, I'll guess roughly 400 times-trying to figure from the drills I run him through & rounds fired in those drills. Usually carried in a High Noon Topless lined holster.

It is his ccw piece so average 2 times a day on top of that. Really just guessing though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts