1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about adding the extended beaver tail safety to your Colt's. My hammer on my '91a1 draws blood on the web of my hand any time that I go to the range. I like the flat mainspring housing but I think I would like to have a metal trigger. I have seen Videcki mentioned several times and I wonder are there any different brands available.

By the way, for the guys who responded to my post inquiring about factory mags, I received 5 new metalform 7 rounders with the round followers in the mail the other day and they functioned flawlessly. Now if I can just stop the gun from drawing blood on both ends.....ouch.

One more thing - I carry my '91a1 on a daily basis and I don't want to lose the concealabilty of the piece.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are a couple of options for you. The first, and most concealable option is to bob the hammer. A beavertail grip safety would be best with a commander style hammer, unless you want to bob the hammer AND install a beavertail safety.

A beavertail grip safety and commander style hammer seem to be the standard these days, so you probably won't find much opposition to that. The biggest thing about the beavertail is that to install one of the better units, you will have to have the safety tangs on your pistol machined to match the safety you choose.

Metal triggers are available from most parts houses, and they range from about $10 for a no-name part at a gunshow to $30-40 from a name maker's top of the line parts. What you choose is mostly up to your sense of esthetics.

For the best look at what is available from different manufacturers, go to www.brownells.com and search for 1911 Triggers or Grip Safeties and you'll see a cross section of what you can get.

I've been more verbose than I intended, so if you've got any other questions let us know.

Tom

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Your best bet also might be one of the simple drop-in grip safeties. King makes a fairly neat one, that should still work with your gov hammer. It should be listed on Brownells, just search for Kings and Beavertail.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
FirearmsPlus has the easiest solution. Wilson also makes a nice drop-in piece. The only fitting required when I added one to my 1991A1 was the lug that engages the trigger bow. Very easy to fit, and looks factory.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I put a kings grip saftey on my 91a1, and actually took out the metal trigger it came with and put in a black plastic one. If you want it, email me your addy and I'll send it to you. I just did not like that it was the only silver thing on the weapon, aside from the barrel.
I like the kings saftey better than the wilsons-the wilson's sticks out and up farther, but does not do anything more than the kings to protect the web of the hand.
cheers,
Derek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts