1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok who makes a good beavertail grip safety for a replacement on a RIA GI .45, I bought a Wilson drop in and it absolutely sucks on fitment, I could cut a piece out with a cut off wheel on a grinder that would fit tighter than it, there is so much slop between the place where the thumb safety pins it that you can't cock the hammer back unless you hold the grip safety over to one side because it won't go in the recess for the commander style hammer in the beavertail, the hammer I got fitting nice a buttery smooth in the frame, it's a C&S hammer and was alittle tight but I polished it and the inside of frame til it would slide in and work properly, is there anyone who makes a grip safety that you have to fit completely, I would like a nice clean fitting piece with minimal gaps and slop, I don't care if I have to file and stone it, I just want it to fit right, thanks for input and info

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Drop in is just that - a drop in.

Since you said its GI model, its actually easier to replace them
You can buy any BTGS designed for .250" radius tang would work.
You will have to reshape the tang tho(Use available Jogs to do this part)
But after that, it should be pretty damn good fit.
Keep in mind tho that if you go with high ride BTGS, stock GI hammer will NOT work, which is why just about every 1911 with high ride BTGS comes with commander style hammer

Here is good article of how to with pics.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=92151

But unless you go this way, you'll stuck with either GI Grip safety(one that originally came with) or piss poor fitting drop in(which your already not happy with)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drop in is just that - a drop in.

Since you said its GI model, its actually easier to replace them
You can buy any BTGS designed for .250" radius tang would work.
You will have to reshape the tang tho(Use available Jogs to do this part)
But after that, it should be pretty damn good fit.
Keep in mind tho that if you go with high ride BTGS, stock GI hammer will NOT work, which is why just about every 1911 with high ride BTGS comes with commander style hammer

Here is good article of how to with pics.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=92151

But unless you go this way, you'll stuck with either GI Grip safety(one that originally came with) or piss poor fitting drop in(which your already not happy with)
Thanks, I did alittle more reading and studying and ordered a Chip McCormick beavertail with .25" radius and a Ed Brown beavertail tool to reshape the tangs, I've spent enough time fitting everything else I don't want a sloppy grip safety

1 - 3 of 3 Posts