1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be interesting to folks who are contemplating installing a beavertail grip safety on their 1911, or having a ‘smith do it. I took a series of pictures of the installation process for fitting beavertail grip safeties that are similar to an Ed Brown. Before I got very far into it, I realized it was not possible to get a pic of every detail of the process, but I did get most of the highlights.

This was the starting point, a new Colt Series ’70 re-issue and a King’s #207 beavetail

This is the finished product, ready to go to Ted Yost for bluing

What was involved in-between can be found here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288222445

·
Registered
923 Posts
THANK YOU Mr. Harrison

Thanks for the detailed step by step photos, there GREAT!!!

There have been alot of beavertail questions/posts here recently including a question from myself.

Looking at your photos of the fitting precedure sure does answer ALOT of questions and they also show that you do VERY QUALITY WORK!!!

THANKS AGAIN, SIR.

Sincerely, "THE SOCKMAN"

·
Registered
890 Posts
Excellent pictures!

I'm going to be fitting my first in the next week, boy are those photos going to be helpful.

Thanks for sharing your work, Art

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Great pictures

Thank you very much for your time and effort, and your continuing support and contributions to the learning process of those of us on the forum.
Regards,
Iggy

Mod's after it has had some exposure here, this thread should be preserved in the How To archives..

How bout it??

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Did all you guys sign up with that service to see the pictures?

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Yeah, I signed up to see it. Well worth it, and I'll probably start using Imagestation to host my pictures.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Excellent Mr. Harrison thank you very much for the info and posting the pics. Very informative now I know why my grip safety looks the way it does ........... instead of the way it should:D

Ed

·
Registered
315 Posts
Very cool pics, Awsome work, and great information... This should be stickeyd or something.. Where did you get the plain MSH to checker?

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
Aronj said:
Where did you get the plain MSH to checker?
I know Ed Brown sell smooth MSH. I have one of those on my Vickers 1911.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nice post with great pictures. Santa brang me a digital camera and I was going to do a similar post but I’m not sure if it is necessary now. The techniques I use are similar but different. This is a very informative and good post. Thanks for showing us your tips and it looks like a fantastic install. I like the way the polish blue carries around the beavertail from side to side. Do you do your own polish before sending it to Yost? Looks like that is a great blaster.........Very nice job!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Aronj said:
Where did you get the plain MSH to checker?
Smith & Alexander also sell a flat smooth MSH, with or without lanyard loop...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Very informative, and well done.Thanks for taking the time to create and post it.

TGR, I would still love to see your step by step process for fitting grip safeties. I'm sure I'm not alone either.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the kind words. It was a pretty cool excercise as it made me appreciate how difficult it is to nail down all the details and nuances involved in performing a task that's really not so complicated.

TGR, I'd love to see a "how to". I learn something everytime I look over someone's shoulder. The learning is the best fun of the whole program. Please break in that camera and give us a look-see. And yes, I did my own prep & polish work before it goes out.

AronJ, that is an Ed Brown mainspring housing.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
140 Posts
if there's any gunsmiths out there with a digital camera and willing to caption their photos i'd be more than willing to host a gunsmithing how-to website.

i have roughly 150MB of space to play with. i'm willing to optimize the photos to make the pictures smaller for optimized space use.

i detailed stripped my sig over the weekend and had problems putting it back together. i was thinking of creating a step by step how to disassemble/reassemble a sig p226 site. on each picture page i want to add tips on how to get thru a particular part. i was also thinking on each picture page have the ability for people to submit a question on a particular picture and email the gunsmith the question and have the gunsmith post the answer to the question. so in the end, each picture page has a description of the process in the picture, tips on the particular procedure, questions(posted by viewers) and answers(posted by the gunsmith) for each process.

if any gunsmith is interested, email me, [email protected]. once i get my digital camera i'll setup my sig dis/reassembly site.

-kotonk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts