1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still havent purchased this gun and I am already looking to modify it. LOL. One of the first things I want to change is the beavertail on my soon to be NIB NRM Colt Commander Stainless model.

However, I have heard some varying opinions on beavertails. I would like to be able to do the installation myself, so I am leaning towards the Wilson Drop In. Taking it to a gunsmith is not out of the question. I just dont know any reputable smiths in Oklahoma. Can anyone post a picture of there box stock Colt Series 80 Commander Stainless and then a pic of it fitted with a Wilson drop in?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I put a drop in Wilson in my NRM STS Commander and it actually dropped right in. I functions and feel great and I like the slight contrast in finish with it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think drop in beavertails look bad, to put it kindly. If you want a smith to do a fitted beavertail pm or email me and I can get you in touch with a smith in the Oklahoma City area, if that's close to you.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had a drop in beavertail from Wilson. didn't like it. It looked OK but it didn't blend well with the frame.

Next chance I had, D.R Middlebrooks fitted the Hi-rise Beavertail from Wilson - along with a bunch of other things- and it looked soooo much better. Also my hand sat up noticeably higher in the frame.

If you can- and the budget allows- go for the fitted type. Done correctly, it's so much better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info fellas. Yes, I am very near the OKC area if you could give me the info on the gunsmith. Thanks again.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I keep getting referrals to the same gunsmith, when talking to local shooters and Cops that shoot 1911 pattern pistols. Worth visiting.
Dale Ellison (The 1911 Guy)
El Reno (405)262-4125

·
Registered
39 Posts
I traded a NRM Colt for an older 38 super Colt. The older 38 had a Wilson drop in high rise beavertail. It looked like crap. The owner liked it and wanted to keep it. I happily obliged. What was interesting to note was it turned out that the Wilson drop in beavertail had a nearly seamless fit with the newer Colt. I suppose it was luck then again maybe Wilson and Colt both now have a very consistent contour for both parts.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My 1991A1...

With a Wilson beavertail. But it wasn't drop in, I had to cut a portion off the frame to make that .25 inch radius.

Same 1991A1...different grips,

I might add that I did all the work myself, trigger, hammer, extended grip safety, polishing, and grips themselves. I'm not very pleased with the grips, but have made rosewood and others to please my appetite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts