1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, great board. Just got my first 1911--Colt Gold Cup Trophy. I'd like to install a Wilson drop-in beavertail to avoid cutting the frame. Does anyone have any experiences with this item? Did a search but everything was regarding the modify to fit style. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just tried to put one on a Para P13 and it was folly, but fun to try. All I got was a lesson in filing and a sore arm. But, that's because the old Para frame is set up for the stubby little Para web gouger grip safety.

The part was very high qualty and most of the curves fit extremely well even on the Para. I would imagine that, on a Colt, it would drop in.

The beauty of Brownell's is that you can buy it, try it and if it doesn't drop in....return it (before you start filing that is...although I have heard they have even taken 'attempted fits' back).

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,051 Posts
I have one on my Delta Elite, and while I had to open the window in the frame just a bit, none of my work shows on the outside. It does fit the frame contours - of Colt products - very well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have 2 of them.. one in blue and one stainless.. both dropped in the frame without any fitting, the only fitting was to the part that contacts the trigger when it should, and is clear of the trigger when ity shouldnt make contact.. east to do and quick..

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I put one on a Colt 1991A1 a few years back. It dropped right in, and the tang that must be normally fitted to the trigger amazingly did not need any adjustment. If you do have any fitting to do, it's likely to be on this tang.

A good product!

·
Registered
605 Posts
ontarget said:
I If you do have any fitting to do, it's likely to be on this tang.
Recently installed one on a new LW XSE. Tang required some fitting, but no big issue, as instructions were provided. Just go slow.

Only thing that I am unhappy with, is that the frame clearance areas seem to be......., somewhat excessive. A little more daylight then was expected. Don't quite know what to think. Comments would be welcome.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll tackle this project next week along with my Wilson ext thumb safety and new grips from Cocobolo Trading Co. I'll post pics when done.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone refer me to a link or site regarding removal of my thumb and grip safeties? I've got a good idea from viewing schematics, but I'd prefer "real world" info if I could get it. Thanks again guys.:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts