1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALright, I've been suffering from hammer bite on my Sistema for too long. I wanna put beavertail on it. I would like to do it myself, and I noticed Wilson makes a jig to cut the frame for a beavertail. So my question is, can I do this? I have very little experience with metal. However, I have a fair amount of experience detail stripping the 1911 and know it pretty well throughout. All thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I installed one last year and it was pretty easy. IIRC, the Wilson jig is better than the Brownell's jig I used because it wraps down farther allowing you to cut more metal using the jig. With the completely round one I had, there was quite a bit I had to eyeball. I used a Dremel to remove all but the last 1/8" or so. Be real careful and go slow. It took me about two hours to get the rough shape and fit the BT in place. The rest was a lot of filing, sanding, and polishing. Get some good files first off. You'll need them.

GT

·
Registered
691 Posts
After using the jig to get most of the metal off the tangs use an ole thumb safety for the final fitting of the beavertail. coat the bare metal of the tangs with magic marker and rotate the beavertail through it's up and down motion, and then you will see bare metal where it is binding. Using small files file and repeat above.

This will take some time as the beavertail will bind from side to side until you get free travel. The reason for using an old thumb safety is because until the beavertail is mated properly to the frame, the thumb safety will bind as well.

It is not difficult to do, just go slow, and take your time.

Depending on which beavertail you use you might have to blend it to the frame where the web of your hand makes contact to remove sharp edges, and keep in mind also you will need a commander style hammer to snug into the beavertail.

A good book that describes this process is Patrick Sweeneys "Gunsmithing Pistols And Revolvers"

Hope this helps,
Byrd

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies guys but I took gigi's advice and bobbed the hammer with a file and alot of sandpaper. It feels great shooting now, and IMHO it looks like a pretty good job!

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts