1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing how little things become big deals once you get into the "perfect gun" mentality. One of my Les Baers is getting a major face lift. All that will be left of it will be the frame, slide, pin set and rear Bomar sight.

The beavertail is being replaced with an Ed Brown. Although minor welding will be needed to fill in the small gaps, it's obvious by the picture below that the Brown beavertail looks much nicer.

My biggest gripe with the Baer beavertail was the big lump where the webbing of my hand meets the beavertail, sand blast finish and weight.

Since I have small hands, we also removed some of the 'memory groove'.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Who have you chosen to build your perfect gun?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Well Son,
Looks like hangin' with the PeteMeister
may just have forever changed the way you look at custom work.
As they say "Ignorance is bliss", and
"The devil is in the details".
Better ask your boss for a raise and find some people that might be interested in your
'other' custom guns.

------------------
Chuck Rogers
Rogers Precision

GOOD-CHEAP-FAST
Pick any two.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Hi Son Chuck and JohnnyO

That would lead to a great question? If your going to build a Hand Made custom gun and use the slide frame pin set and Bomar, why not build from a Frame and slide and save over 1000.00? Same would apply to many brands.
geo ><>

I bet Son is having a Blast!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally, we were just going to add a magwell. Then it was top serrations, mag release, trigger... you get the idea LOL.

Pete tried talking me into building a gun from scratch with a Series 70 Colt. However, although the Baer has quite a 'few' flaws, I've put over 14K rounds through it and it's a straight shooter. On the other hand, it'll shoot even better once we're done.

The gun was carried 'as is' from Baer for a few years. It was also utilized extensively on my part for training since it was my carry gun. So to answer your question George, it has some sentimental value. It's about 85% done and will be hard chromed once it's finished.

This will be the fake perfect gun. The real perfect gun will be built later down the road on a Series 70 Colt

... and yes Chuck, he does have me quite spoiled.

BTW, nice work on the 'fixure upper' on Nichols' gun.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Son... you are a lucky fella, ide love to have Metalsmith work one over for me.

YOU GOTTA post pics, please

AND your wrong, the PERFECT gun would be built on a PRE 70 series commercial

[This message has been edited by RMLamey (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Son, I know what you mean, I started out with metalsmith doing a checkering and sight install, I am very lucky, he now has both of my guns as you have seen, both checkered, one mag well, one to have Novaks',night tube inserts, one with Bo-Mars, serrated slide, frame to slide fit, hard chrome....and the list goes on with a whole lot of little details I'm sure I forgot to mention. Thanks Chuck for the barrel fit, trigger job, beaver tail, extractor, and anything else I forgot to mention, all excellant work.

------------------
Al Nickles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts