1911Forum banner
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
People do whatever they want to do but I’m curious as to why you think a gun made specifically for competition would be trustworthy enough to depend your life on?

A jam in a competition means that you lost a trophy and the winner’s purse. A jam during self defense is probably a death warrant.

My suggestion is to pick a service handgun that’s designed for combat duty or self defense duty.

I’d pick a SW K-frame revolver for bedside gun before I’d go with any of these CZ competition pistols.

View attachment 644344
Well reasoned.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like the idea of the AR outdoors but say the bad guy breaks in your home and you step into the hall and the bad guy is between you and your children's bedroom and you miss. Where do you think that green tip 5.56 will end up.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,279 Posts
I like the idea of the AR outdoors but say the bad guy breaks in your home and you step into the hall and the bad guy is between you and your children's bedroom and you miss. Where do you think that green tip 5.56 will end up.
I keep my AR pistol 10.5" loaded with 5.56 Hornady 62g Spire Points or Sierra 65g SPs for rapid expansion, mounted O light and Burris FFIII red dot.. I keep it on a bedroom table with 2 30s at hand but have a 1911 with a TLR 6 at hand on the nightstand.. In the bedside drawer I keep a G19 with back up mags and a 1000 Lumen hand torch with strobe option.

I am getting paranoid in my old age.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got my questioned answered today. Got to shoot a man's CZ Shadow 2. The slide is too small, thin, and too stiff to be reliable for a defense gun. It is a heavy gun with little felt recoil great trigger, darn nice target gun for sure.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I got my questioned answered today. Got to shoot a man's CZ Shadow 2. The slide is too small, thin, and too stiff to be reliable for a defense gun.
I recalled that I had another Shadow. That had 14k rounds and 6 stoppages. That makes 36 stoppages (including light strikes with reduced power hammer springs but whatever) in over 52,000 I had through my Shadows, making them 99.93% reliable.

·
Banned
810 Posts
When out of hi-school worked at Marx Toy Factory. The head machinist was a functional Alcoholic. He was about 50 and divorced. He had nice house at rural location on a nice stream. It was well known if he wasn’t at home he was in a beer joint. Well evidently he was being cased for a break in. He had to leave his truck in town for repairs. Somebody rode him home with his 12pack. No vehicle and no lights was what miscreants had been waiting for. They broke in waking owner up who was still in drunken stupor. He commenced turning loose his trusty bedside piece and deer gun. A 1910 Winchester 401.
With custom made 12 shot mags. He was always bragging about his mags because several locals had 07 Wins in 351 and 10shot was biggest mag available. He made 12s just to one up them. Anyway he emptied two mags without leaving his bedroom. He didn’t hit any of the thieves but he destroyed his house. Them big 401 slugs played hell on dry wall and kitchen cabinets. Not to mention contents.
The Sheriff caught perps because they didn’t try to get to their vehicle they run down the creek to main Highway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When out of hi-school worked at Marx Toy Factory. The head machinist was a functional Alcoholic. He was about 50 and divorced. He had nice house at rural location on a nice stream. It was well known if he wasn’t at home he was in a beer joint. Well evidently he was being cased for a break in. He had to leave his truck in town for repairs. Somebody rode him home with his 12pack. No vehicle and no lights was what miscreants had been waiting for. They broke in waking owner up who was still in drunken stupor. He commenced turning loose his trusty bedside piece and deer gun. A 1910 Winchester 401.
With custom made 12 shot mags. He was always bragging about his mags because several locals had 07 Wins in 351 and 10shot was biggest mag available. He made 12s just to one up them. Anyway he emptied two mags without leaving his bedroom. He didn’t hit any of the thieves but he destroyed his house. Them big 401 slugs played hell on dry wall and kitchen cabinets. Not to mention contents.
The Sheriff caught perps because they didn’t try to get to their vehicle they run down the creek to main Highway.
That story got me donkey laughing!!! I wonder if he sorbered up for the night after those 2 clips!

81 - 100 of 140 Posts