1911Forum banner
101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dang! How many home battles have you been in?
Two at work, and three nighttime/early morning break-ins at home between 21 and now (I'm 72). I learned a valuable lesson during the first home encounter, that a four D cell Maglight wasn't enough light and a .380 wasn't enough gun. From then on as I had to get kids or go to another level in the house EVERY f'ing light on the way gets turned on. That saved the kid next door's life on number two when he broke in thinking I was still on vacation. Oddly, I just watched a Youtube video where Clint Smith said that's what he thinks is best, turning all the lights on so there's no target misidentification.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I wanted a switch in the bedroom that would turn on a bright light in every room. Both cost and the design of the house made that impossible. Still think it is a great idea. I make do with night lights all over the house and a Surefire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the idea of the AR outdoors but say the bad guy breaks in your home and you step into the hall and the bad guy is between you and your children's bedroom and you miss. Where do you think that green tip 5.56 will end up.
Plant Finger Gesture Thumb Nail
That's why I use Federal Ballistic tips. They figuratively and literally explode on impact. I didn't sign the Geneva convention, neither did you. Use hollowpoints. Better yet composite tips.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the idea of the AR outdoors but say the bad guy breaks in your home and you step into the hall and the bad guy is between you and your children's bedroom and you miss. Where do you think that green tip 5.56 will end up. View attachment 644755
That's why I use Federal Ballistic tips. They figuratively and literally explode on impact. I didn't sign the Geneva convention, neither did you. Use hollowpoints. Better yet composite tips.
"Because sometimes that’s all you got". In the late 70's I was in grad school living in a house apartment near the university, with the other half occupied by a wonderful retired nurse. It was quite old, built on pier and beam with about 18 inches of crawl space underneath. For several weeks a noise of something scratching under the wood floor, like it was trying to get in, plagued us making sleep difficult. My attempts to trap, poison, etc., yielded no success, so finally, now being 21, went to the local gun store to see if they had a possible solution. A stodgy old clerk reached under a counter and pulled out a 1911 Colt Government model. I remember falling instantly impressed with that royal blue finish and the beautifully machined lines. He explained why I should use this gun as it was one of the biggest calibers in Rat Shot Bullets. I bought the gun along with a box of CCI aluminum cased rat shot rounds. The next nights were spent with 45 in hand and flashlight in other, going prone and crawling under the house looking for my offender. I never was successful but one fall evening with my windows open and my face buried in academia, I heard a woman moaning followed by a loud "Smack!". After hearing it again I looked out my kitchen window to the upstairs garage apt behind the house, whose back wall was entirely windows. The apartment was completely illuminated and quite easily I could see the image of a pretty long haired blond on her knees facing a male standing before her. Yes, it appeared that they were engaged in the act of oral "flagrante' dilecto" until I saw him raise his arm up and then strike her in the face with considerable force. I burst outside into the dark, 45 in hand and in the backyard yelled at him when he was about to strike her again.... "Stop It!" It startled him at first, but stopped his assault as he now focused his vision to see who said this. He then charged down his stairs snarling "So you want a piece of this Motherfu●ker?" That's when I rather indifferently drew the 45 and said "Not tonight." I swear, just like the Buckwheat gif I added, it appeared like his hair stood straight up on end, he stopped cold, whipped around 180°, and yelled "Another white man is going to kill a nigg♤er". His exact words, not mine! He ran back up his stairs, with my thinking "this s.o.b. is going to get a shotgun!". Instead of going back to my place I went the adjacent house of a neighbor and using pebbles I woke the neighbor 15 year old and whispered to him to call the cops to the garage apartment. I then hunkered down behind the 3 foot stone wall that paralleled my house, waiting to bushwack this guy if he came looking for me. All knowing that the only rounds I had in that slab side were..... Yep! You got it! Snake Shot! "Because sometimes that's all you got."

·
Banned
810 Posts
I wired a house for a lawyer that is now a judge. Including basement’s two levels, it’s a 5 level house.
Master Bedroom was on upper level back corner of house. Breaker panel was in opposite corner of second level in basement. He wanted to operate all lights inside and out from master bed room. I used a couple miles of 14/3 and more 3way & 4 way switches than I ever used in one house. He had the Amish who where doing kitchen and trim make a custom light switch cover for the switches that were all mounted in a blank box. His only addition to this Home Defense System was a ball bat. Yes he is a Democrat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wired a house for a lawyer that is now a judge. Including basement’s two levels, it’s a 5 level house.
Master Bedroom was on upper level back corner of house. Breaker panel was in opposite corner of second level in basement. He wanted to operate all lights inside and out from master bed room. I used a couple miles of 14/3 and more 3way & 4 way switches than I ever used in one house. He had the Amish who where doing kitchen and trim make a custom light switch cover for the switches that were all mounted in a blank box. His only addition to this Home Defense System was a ball bat. Yes he is a Democrat.
you know it's funny you say that because I have a client in my business that did the exact same thing. Switch in the master bedroom that turns on every light. Maybe these rich people are on to something? lol

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
My bedside gun is a Colt AR15 with Surefire M600 Scout DF 1,500 lumen LED light and EoTech green holosight. Why would you want to bring a pistol to a gunfight when you can bring a rifle? Especially when you're at home and the thug(s) invade your premises. I keep my Beretta M9A3 with 30rd magazine and Streamlight TLR 2 HL G green laser/light as a backup to my rifle.
Why have a pistol fir a nightstand weapon? Brains?? Logical reasoning skills??😎

·
Banned
810 Posts
Today you can buy lights that run on batteries, and I believe light fixtures than can be wired as normal 110v circuit but can be controlled remote as far as on off. I’m out of the game as far as new tech switches but I’m sure they have them also. The techies run their houses with smart phones.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
My bedside gun is a short-barreled AR (556 cal; 11.5" barrel) with a Surefire Socom suppressor and a Surefire X400 light-laser. A Trijicon MRO sits on top and is always on. I've shot it in a house (vacant shack) before and it's not the big fireball (shown in an earlier post) at all. Nor is it too loud.

I've got a full-size Glock 40 cal on the nightstand with a Surefire X300 light, but that gun is just there to enable me to fight my way to the rifle rack on the bedroom wall where the AR resides. The AR is the primary fighting weapon.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts