1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
I agree there really wasn't anything wrong with it in its arsenal rebuild configuration. It looked exactly like many thousands of M1911 pistols that were refurbished for use in WW2 and Korea. But if you are really into the original WW1 look, it'll look better if you have a competent refinisher like Bill Adair put it back to a furnace blued finish. Right now with the blued small parts, repro grips and parkerized finish it immediately screams "Sunday project gun", not "old warhorse".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Enough!!!

I get so tired of the senior members on this site, being so critical of 1911's that dont meet their standards of what a gun should be. Cant you just say for once. "nice gun" and leave it? Look back on some of your old posts seniors. Why would anyone want to share and be made small because its not original. Some folks are still raiseing kids paying bills and dont have the funds to aford the current $1500 or more price tags. Does a repark make it any less historical or wonder any less where its been and what its seen? Just look and reread your most current response!! The guy is just trying to share something he is proud of and all you did was question everything about it. Are you afraid people wont believe or hold the same $$$$ value you try to convince us your collection holds? Is this any differant than the gun grabbers in congress who want to tell us what kind of gun I can or should own, what little details will make it legalor not?. Well my guess is this will be deleted before many see it or a long list of responses on how wrong I am . No matter I wont be signing on to check anymore. To many other sites around where people with differant ideas are welcome.

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
We were asked for our critique and we gave it. What is wrong with that? Too many folks play around with nice original pistols, and shoot themselves in the foot regarding its value to any possible future owner. In my opinion folks can play around with modern commercial pistols all they want. But with collectible guns like USGI and vintage commercials the less they dick with them the better. That's my .02 cents. If you'd rather I just say "nice pistol" each time then this forum would get dull pretty quick. BTW it is a nice pistol, as long as it's left alone.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Aluma-hyde the slide in green, coyote brown for the frame, add Hogue finger groove wraps, a stainless bushing mount compensator, ambi safety, extended slide release, extended mag release with big paddle, bobtail the frame and put a rail and red dot on it. Stipple all exposed surfaces. Put a few spinners and some neon trim on, and call it good.

:D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ben B. said:
Aluma-hyde the slide in green, coyote brown for the frame, add Hogue finger groove wraps, a stainless bushing mount compensator, ambi safety, extended slide release, extended mag release with big paddle, bobtail the frame and put a rail and red dot on it. Stipple all exposed surfaces. Put a few spinners and some neon trim on, and call it good.

:D
Now that would be a nice unaltered specimen. :p

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
Well said.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wish I had a genuine military 1911:bawling: Even a well used gun with mismatched parts that I could restore..

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just like guns.
ALL guns.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It is a great looking pistol. I would enjoy it either way you like it, but keep the parts so you can put it back to the first version. Historically it is more correct in that condition. That being said, you provided good pictures for experts to give you an accurate critique of what you have. It's a keeper, enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Great looking 1911!!!

I for one like the information given by the members that know more about USGI 1911's than I do. I welcome all comments whether they be good or bad whenever I post a picture and ask for comments!!!:):)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If someone posts here and doesn't like the "seniors" opinion, then they need to grow a few more epithelial layers for some thicker skin!

Now, if someone purchased a Renoir, that was a little dusty, and cleaned it up with solvent that removed the paint, and then glued the canvass to plaster board to make it stiffer, and then trimmed the edges down to make it fit the wall better, would people scream foul? You bet they would.

Now I know that 1911s aren't Renoirs, but there are people here who revere these guns, and hate to see the original classics bastardized. I'm not saying that's happened here, but that's where the opinions emmanate from.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
I get so tired of the senior members on this site, being so critical of 1911's that dont meet their standards of what a gun should be. Cant you just say for once. "nice gun" and leave it? Look back on some of your old posts seniors. Why would anyone want to share and be made small because its not original. Some folks are still raiseing kids paying bills and dont have the funds to aford the current $1500 or more price tags. Does a repark make it any less historical or wonder any less where its been and what its seen? Just look and reread your most current response!! The guy is just trying to share something he is proud of and all you did was question everything about it. Are you afraid people wont believe or hold the same $$$$ value you try to convince us your collection holds? Is this any differant than the gun grabbers in congress who want to tell us what kind of gun I can or should own, what little details will make it legalor not?. Well my guess is this will be deleted before many see it or a long list of responses on how wrong I am . No matter I wont be signing on to check anymore. To many other sites around where people with differant ideas are welcome.
good, go bother them with the whining then....cya.

For future reference though on all those boards that welcome YOU...If a OP ends their post with... "Give me your thoughts", then they are looking for critiques. If you don't know, critiques can be good and bad....sorry that you only like hearing the good. Toughen up or don't post....oh yeah, this falls on deaf ears as you are leaving us for good. ;)

to the OP....nice gun...looks good in the before, looks okay in the after. I have to agree with your final choice...it shines best in its original state. Thanks for showing it...its a beaut plain jane. Hows it shoot btw??? any range reports?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't think I understand. It appears the pistol had some parts replaced to M1911 part, i.e. trigger and repo grips. If you are trying to resto it to it's original configuration, why not have it blued as well?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts