1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I live in a studio. I don't want to reload in the kitchen, so I need a workbench.

Will any workbench do or do I have to drill holes in it and all sorts of stuff? Also, is reloading indoors OK? How about over carpet, or near a computer, etc.? Any considerations I should look for would be appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have loaded tons of ammo on a Dillon mounted on a Black & Decker Workmate in a closet. Open the closet door and go to it. Putting your foot on the rail on the front of the Workmate is convenient and helps stabilize things. A light mounted in the closet is a big help.

You have to drill the Workmate, but that is no great loss.

A piece of plywood screwed to the top of the Workmate improves the surface and provides a little more room.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
Hi,

I live in a studio. I don't want to reload in the kitchen, so I need a workbench.

Will any workbench do or do I have to drill holes in it and all sorts of stuff? Also, is reloading indoors OK? How about over carpet, or near a computer, etc.? Any considerations I should look for would be appreciated. Thanks.
Probably want to avoid doing it with a lit candle nearby,
and I'd keep the TV off... It can be too easy to become distracted, and possibly crank out a double 8)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I mounted my presses (two single stage) on a length of plank. This gets C clamped to the bench. It will also clamp to the "bachelor table" in the kitchen or the coffee table in front of the couch. The plank stores in the closet (although I have a garage shop now).

For the price of a Work Mate you can find a suitable table or bench. It need not fold necessarily. An old desk will work fine, and you can tear down the reload setup and use the desk as a . . . desk.

It's nice to have bench space. A card table will do just fine for sorting parts. The "press" table needs to be solid.

I listen to the radio.

You can find large, contractor tool boxes and portable shelving at your local "home depot" . . .

Reloading can start out being housed in a small suitcase. But sooner or later it will take over a room or the corner of a shop.

[This message has been edited by Genghis (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Almost everyone reloads indoors, not a problem. Stay off the carpet. Powder spills should be swept, not vacuumed. Electronic equipment is not a problem unless it distracts the operator as jaydee said. Wash any food prep areas well after exposure to lead and powder. Hygiene is important.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm...I have VERY VERY little space to reload. The only non-carpeted areas are the bathroom, some of the kitchen, but I have cabinets right over the counter so it's a problem. Also outside on the patio, but it's a really small patio.

Where else can I do it?

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Carpet is no big deal. Use small rug (not shag) or a tarp or old shirt under your work area.

I use a floor protector (I have no idea what it's called) of the type you put under desk chairs under my area. Not a problem for you, but my only issue is when my wife vacuums up spent primers and threatens to injure me.

No need to drill either. Attach all equipment to pieces of wood and clamp everything. I quit using my bench and now use my computer desk due to it's extreme weight. Heavy is the key word in a reloading bench since you don't want it moving or shaking when operating the press (that's just irritating).

My monitor is less than 2 feet from my work area.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have my reloading set up in a walk in closet. However, I "come out of the closet" the same God fearing man I am when walking into the closet to reload!

I don't watch TV or even listen to the radio when I reload, but that MWS (Mind Wandering Syndrome) that one gets while mowing the yard sometimes kicks in while pumping out .45 ammo on the turret press. That is what I bought a bullet puller for!

[This message has been edited by Gargoyle (edited 08-22-2001).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're reloading over carpet, just put an old sheet down to catch the inevitable stray powder. Fine ball powders like AA#9 tend to get everywhere.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
If absolutely pushed to the wall, you could rent a storage area - one of the smaller U Store It rooms - and keep a sturdy desk or workbench there. Pop over three times a week or so, with your gear in hand, and do your loading over the cement floor.

That isn't the way I would want to do it, but it would work and wouldn't cost too much.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...yeah...there's always a way. It don't have to be perfect, it just has to work. Clamps, boards, linoleum, use anything that won't blow up. Keep good records and be consistent...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts