1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I bought a 2001 Loaded model. specifically, model number px9109L.

Shot 150rds through it today. 50 rds WW white boh 230 gr JHP and 100 rds Atlanta Arms 230 gr Ball. At rd 121 experienced first malfunction, slide did not go fully into battery on the first round. Magazine used was a Mec-gar 8rder. Solved by nudging slide slightly forward. Second malfunction occurred at rd 132. Fourth round out of a Wilson 47D magazine did the same thing. Solution was the same. Third malfuncion at round 136, first round out of a Wilson 47C mag. Same solution as previously described.

Total number of mags used was eight. Two Wilson mags, 1 8rd mec-gar, one 7rd SS pachmayr, 2 Springfield factory mags and 2 no name mags with Wilson springs and followers.

No malfunctions were experienced with the WW JHP's using all these mags. Only malfunctions occurred with Atlanta Arms ball ammmo and previously described magazines.

Further testing will continue with other ammunition and same magazines. Recoil spring will be changed to 18.5lb, possibly greater. Most likely will pull the two piece guide rod out and replace it with standard GI plug and rod

My intent is to find the perfect magazine and ammo selection. So far I've been really impressed with the Pachmayr magazines and not so impressed with the vaunted Wilson brand.

Question: Why do you guys think I had those malfunctions?

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Speaks well for the wonderfully reliable hardball ammo that is often touted around 1911 circles...

I've seen many malfunctions on the line with 1911 and other semiauto handguns that can be directly attributable to a lack of lubrication. Don't spare the lube! 1911s seem to be more susceptible to this type of malfunction than other types of weapons in my experience.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, My bad. I failed to mention that the gun was cleaned last night and thoroughly re-lubed with CLP which is my particular preference (especially since I get all I want for free). May have to try some other lubes though. That's gun lubes for you perverts out there

I honestly think that it was a matter of the ammo and the mags. I actually think it's more of an ammo issue than mags (with the exception of the mec-gar mag) Atlanta Arms is a commercial reloader. I'll try some Wally World specials later on this week.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You mis-understand...after 100 rds of ball ammo, especially if it happens to be dirty, a new pistol may still be tight enough to start heating up and expanding a bit. With the new gunk and only some oil from LAST NIGHT you may just be feeling those slings and arrows. As I mentioned before, until you get some rds downrange and actually knock a little of the new off, you have no need to do anything other than what I offered...Do what you want, you asked there it is. If you don't want suggestions, don't ask...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
OOps...I must have answered this elsewhere...that's ANOTHER THING that happens when you cross post! Sometimes you get the same answers! Sorry for the tone...After you try the suggestion from wherever the hell the other post is, then read the ABOVE message...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Administrator
74,628 Posts
Remember that Springfields are pretty tight out of the box. I personally don't like it, but that's what the other 99% seems to want. The pistol most certainly WILL have failures to fully lock up until it's loosened in a bit, probably somewhere after 500 rounds or so.

You might want to try the trick I discovered with a brand-new Bushmaster AR. It was having several failures to feed and extract, and when I took it back to the gun shop/range where I bought it they told me it was because it was new and tight, plus I wasn't lubing it enough. What they guy did was take it apart, absolutely oiled the CRAP out of it, put the slimy mess back together, then borrowed a full 30-round magazine from me. Then he went and disappeared into the range area.

Seconds later I heard one long BBRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPP!!! causing everybody in the shop to turn around and look. He came back out with a hot, smoking, empty gun and told me to try it again. I went back to the range, and sure enough it was working perfectly!

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
i posted on here when my brother got his 2001 loaded fullsize that he had a lot of problems with failure to feed. polishing the inside of the chamber seemed to fix this, i have heard that springfield and a couple of other brands have too tight chambers.

i still have to say that i like the "loosness of the colt 1991A1" because it seems to cure a lot of problems.

i think the fine line between competition accuracy and combat acc/ reliablity is being crossed for the sake of having a gun "that will do it all"

i don't need it to do it all, just what i am going to use it for...

i am not bashing S/A by any means, because i hear this about the other brands too.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem solved!
With several hundred more rounds through the gun now stoppages only occured with two mags. Changed from two piece quide rod to standard GI plug and guide with 18 lb spring. Runs like a wet dream. Measured trigger and when slide is racked, trigger pull is 4#, when hammer is manually cocked trigger pull is 4.25-4.5#.

Accuracy out of my hands at 25 yds is 4in to 6in for 8 rds. At 10 yds approx 1in and less.

Personal wish. Damn I wish I could shoot those 1 and 2 inch groups at 25 yds like the rest of you guys can. Obviously more range time is needed.

Oh yeah, one more thing the firing pin is ticking me off. Not that it doesn't work, I just want steel. Will have to call EGW and order one of their steel ones so I can have an extra one.

I bought this gun because my commander was stolen, now I may have to buy a milspec and send it to EGW for one of their Tactical packages.

Happy 4th everyone. I'm out to see the fireworks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts