1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new to me 1969c Austin Behlert Combat Hi Power. They don’t come around too often, and I have wanted one for many years.

This one has 1” shortened from the front of the slide, with the Behlert custom barrel bushing, wide trigger, S&W K frame rear sight, MMC orange dot front sight, hard chrome (Armoloy), reworked action (trigger on my Lyman digital is about 3 ½#), squared (hooked) trigger guard, custom extended safety, stippled grip (front, back and front of trigger guard), and reshaped hammer.

It came with Herrett grips which I switched out for some Spegels. From what I have learned this is the combat model, while the mini combat model had a shortened grip.

It has the dual recoil spring like the FM detective. There is a small pin in the frames locking cam which connects to the slide stop. Slide stop has an allen head screw to secure and the post has been changed and no detent ball.

Still need to clean and lubricate. Traveling for work next week, so I wont be able to get to the range for a week or so, but just holding it is pretty cool.

Old school at its best!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Wow, it's fantastic, like a museum piece. I doubt that too many people you'd show it to would have a clue as to how special that gun is. Your Detective is amazing too. Congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yep. That's just super. Great pic's too.

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
What a great find, Austin Behlert was a genius. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Very cool and interesting.:rock:

Except, my opinion only, that trigger guard.. the hook and the "stippling" just don't look good at all.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments and feedback.

I am tryng to gain more info about the pistol. I have found that Behlert was developing the Combat Hi Power in the early 1970's and had one of the first produced in 1973. The pistol is marked "A.F. Behlert, Cranford, NJ". I also found Behlert moved from NJ to Pipersville, PA in 1984. With that I would think the 69C was customized between 1973/74 and 1984.

That's truly a very special find you have. Looks like it was meant to be carried tho. :)
Behlert designed the pistol as a carry/duty weapon, so it was meant to be carried. I have a C Rusty Sherrick horsehide holster for it.

It will see some carry time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the comments and feedback.

I am tryng to gain more info about the pistol. I have found that Behlert was developing the Combat Hi Power in the early 1970's and had one of the first produced in 1973. The pistol is marked "A.F. Behlert, Cranford, NJ". I also found Behlert moved from NJ to Pipersville, PA in 1984. With that I would think the 69C was customized between 1973/74 and 1984.
Behlert did some very fine work. Cranford NJ would be before I met him which was when he was in Monmouth Junction NJ back in the late 70's. 84 sounds a little early for the move to Pipersville but it could be correct. By the time the shop was in Pipersville his son Frank was pretty much running it and Frank was more of a salesman than a smith. His son in law was learning the trade from Austin though and was pretty darn good. Not sure where he ended up though. I lost track of them in the mid 90's.

Anyway congrats on the awesome find.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Very cool and old school. Looks to be in excellent condition as well. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
11,556 Posts
… By the time the shop was in Pipersville his son Frank was pretty much running it and Frank was more of a salesman than a smith. His son in law was learning the trade from Austin though and was pretty darn good. Not sure where he ended up though...
Art Leckie. Had a shop of his own and was producing some noteworthy stuff. Heard he got cancer and died.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Art Leckie. Had a shop of his own and was producing some noteworthy stuff. Heard he got cancer and died.
Any idea of what happened to Austins daughter (kate, kathy?; I forget)? I kind of had a little bit of a crush on her back in the day but she was spoken for so never said anything. :)

Reactions: Cousin Vinnie

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Except, my opinion only, that trigger guard.. the hook and the "stippling" just don't look good at all.

Yes to above ^^^^

Awful seam line where the weld is on the square hook of the trigger guard and it looks like a kid took a punch to the front of the frame. But cool gun regardless, I would take it...

·
Premium Member
11,556 Posts

Yes to above ^^^^

Awful seam line where the weld is on the square hook of the trigger guard and it looks like a kid took a punch to the front of the frame. But cool gun regardless, I would take it...
In the context of today's work you are correct. However, considering that Behlert and a few others were breaking new ground back then developing the techniques that younger guys have built on, then it takes on a different look. Shooter demands back then were for function over everything else and cosmetic mods were purely to support function and aid the shooter, not look pretty. We demand more these days because we know that we can get it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the context of today's work you are correct. However, considering that Behlert and a few others were breaking new ground back then developing the techniques that younger guys have built on, then it takes on a different look. Shooter demands back then were for function ever everything else and cosmetic mods were purely to support function and aid the shooter, not look pretty. We demand more these days because we know that we can get it.
Yes, exactly what BBBill says. The Behlert combat & mini combat Hi Powers were designed for duty use and conceal carry. They were specifically modified for law enforcement use, as an article from a 1973 Law & Order magazine states "could be used by plain clothes men, narcotic agents and similar men". It was made as a daily carry utilitarian pistol and not as a collectible pistol like a Yost etc. But that does not make it less collectible.

But I certainly agree, by today's standards for custom guns the modified trigger guard and stippling do leave much to be desired.

If schedule permits I hope to get to the range next week and see how it shoots.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you send me some pictures of the recoil system? I have a mini hi power I am working on (not a behlert), that has a full length guide rod but needs something like this.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Charlie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts