1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of this gun in 97/98 percent condition...I have never owned a HiPower...it is a nice looking gun...
It would be used as a carry gun(after proving to me it will go bang every time).

What should I check befor purchasing the gun?, and would it be reasonable to use as CCW.

Thank you ,Gary

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. This vintage HP will have the smallish thumb safety that might be a bit tough to hit at speed. C&S makes an extended ambi or single-side thumb safety that can be fitted to the gun. I prefer the current extended factory safety and they can be ordered from Browning.

Note whether or not the internal firing pin safety has been removed or not and whether or not the bbl's feed ramp's been altered.

With this vintage gun, you MAY experience some reluctance to feed the really blunt JHP bullets common in self-defense rounds. If possible, you might see if the gun will feed Federal's 115 gr JHP or Remington's 115 or 124 gr JHPs as they have rounded ogives similar to ball.

Best.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
This vintage HP shouldn't have the internal firing pin safety, at least my '82 model doesn't. The gun did come equipped with a magazine "safety" and many people remove this device to get a better trigger pull. I prefer the older model HP's but Mr. Camp's comment about the small thumb safety is right on the money. I sent mine to Novak for some "help" and now it is one of my favorites. 100% reliable with EVERYTHING I have put through it!

[This message has been edited by CCV (edited 09-16-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts