1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, need some help.
I've a nice BHP that has been one of my gun safe queens. It has been an acurate pistol, but I never really liked the trigger.
I have b een thinking about an accuracy/reliability and upgrade package that would make a good, accurate [only accurate guns are interesting] reilable carry gun. Have been thinking about Cylinder and Slide to do the work and wonder what you folks think of them.
Also, would you share with me your thoughts about what would be good to have completed.
Thanks much for your help and best wishes for the new year.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I got the C&S trigger package. Removal of the mag safety with a wide combat trigger. That and some night sights. The pistol shot well before and now its a dream.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have no personal experience with their work but they seem to make the best (and in some case the only)aftermarket parts for the HP. I would check and see what their wait time is-if that is important to you. There are a few smith's out there that are very tallented with the HP; Heirloom (whom a few days ago posted a realy nice looking HP they customized), Action Works, Novak, Robar, Cylinder and Slide; get allot of praise here. Fletcher Custom posted a picture of a custom job he did some time back. Try custom Hi Power in a search engine and you'll find a few different options.

·
Registered
882 Posts
As far as what they can do for your BHP.....I can only state what I have read in so many different forums that they do great work and I have never heard a negative comment about them. What I see on their website, though pricey, looks fantastic.
In my BHP, I have a replaced the trigger, hammer, hammer spring & sear with C&S parts and they have worked flawlessly for me. By replacing the parts listed above, I reduced my trigger pull by 5lbs and it is very smooth and crisp. I did have to work on the new thumb safety to sear engagement surfaces to get them to work properly, but that is pretty much standard with any manufacturer of the sear and thumb safety. My thumb safety is also C&S
I have used C&S parts in several 1911's as well with the same positive results.

tex

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Like Tex:
I installed C&S "No Bite" hammer and sear, single side (strong side) safety, removed the mag. disconnect and installed a Bar-sto barrel in an old "T" series. The pistol was a disaster I found in a small town pawn shop for $250.00 (front "sight" was a piece of brass brazed to the slide). Had a buddy with a Bridgeport mill the slide for Novak sights. Spent hrs. cleaning up the slide/frame flats of dings and scratches. Sent the whole mess to Virgil Tripp for Hardchrome.
It is now one of my most valued posessions and quite a looker.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I had C & S do their basic reliability work about 20 years or ago. it would have a hard time with even some brands of hardball. since then it hasn't screw up once with anything I have shot in it. back then it was $200 and a couple of months of time. I don't know what the cost or length of time is now

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great news from you folks, thanks so much for the input.
I am thinking about doing as much of the work as possible and then having them do the machine and refinishing work.
It sounds like many of their parts are nearly drop in with just final polishing/fitting being needed.
I will update you as things go.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
C&S went to town on one of my Hi-Powers about three years ago.
It is one of my finest handguns.
I might suggest that, even though some of their parts are "drop-ins", for best results I'd send the pistol to them for the complete work.
It's pricey, as noted above, but (meaning no offense to your own abilities) the fewer hands involved the better, and their crew knows exactly how to mate each part with the rest. If you have the money, I think that'd be the best way to go. If you do, figure on forgetting about the thing for at least 6-8 months. That's the nature of custom work with a successful custom shop.

Including the S&W L-Frame that just came home yesterday, they've done 9 handguns for me over the years. That certainly would not be the case if they didn't do excellent work. :)

Denis

·
Registered
758 Posts
The folks at C&S are good people and their BHP upgrades are the best out there.

I have a BHP that Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems did. Full house everything with C&S safety, sear, and hammer. It has a better trigger than some custom jobs that I have fired from a famous sight manufacturer.

www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
As an FYI, there are 'Smiths that will cal you once they are ready to work on your gun so it's out of your possesion as little time as possible. One still has to get in line however.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts