1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference? Can a paddle holster and mag pouch be used without a belt? HELP!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
A Paddle Holster is designed to function like a belt holster, but provides a method for installing, and removing, without the need to undo your belt.

Depending on the gun, and your pants, you wouldn't necessarily need to wear a belt with a Paddle, but don't think you can adequately support a 2.5-3lb 1911 on your waist without a good, sturdy gun belt. The Belt is the foundation of a holster system with heavier sidearms... A light sidearm like a Kel-Tec, or my Kahr polymer can get away with not needing a belt with properly fitting pants.

Depending on the design, some paddles are really nice, and you won't get any movement, some don't stay where they are suppose to... Like any other holster system, getting one that is well designed is critical...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
While a paddle holster can be put on or taken off without removing the belt, the one bad side effect is that there have been occasions where the person goes to drawn their gun and draws the gun along with the paddle holster because it did not secure properly (wrong size belt, worn holster parts, and what have you).

I have both. I personally prefer the belt holsters. My IWB belt holsters all have loops that snap and so I can easily put on or take off my holsters. My OWB holsters have to be threaded. It is a little slower, but very secure.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Yes you don`t need to ware a belt with a paddle holster.But I also prefer a belt holster.If you need a holster that can be taken off quickly,you can get a belt holster that snaps onto the belt.I like inside the waistband holsters the most.They also conseal the best.

------------------
Have fun & Shoot Straight

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I am looking for an ok holster for IPSC Limited or IDPA. I was thinking Fobus. Oh yea, I'm left handed, know any holster companies that don't penalize you for this? This is not for carry.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Maxthemutt, you were headed in the right direction, Fobus does not penalize the lefties, if they do its a buck or two max. Their paddle works well, I like it because it actually comes off easily when you want it to.

Check out a Wilderness belt or Blackhawk IER belt, they are bothof high quality and do the job.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have two Fobus holsters (paddleback and belt slide) and a Fobus belt slide double magazine pouch that are great for competition and carry use. The price is right as well. I think I paid $20.00 or less for each piece!

good luck!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fobus is actually 40% more for lefties. I like the Fobus, but I think I like the Safariland better. Any users?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OOP'S, one more thought, does one holster material wear the gun finish more than another, the Fobus doesn't seem like it would wear much. Don't know about the harder materials like Kydex, etc.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
When paddle holsters first showed up on the scene they weren't very good. As stated, you never knew if the holster was going to come out with the gun on the draw. In recent years they have gotten much better. The Fobus and the Galco paddle are two that I have used with excellent results.

B

·
0 Posts
Get an Alessi CQC-S. This is an excellent belt holster and the snaps allows easy on-off without threading it through slots and pant loops. Once snapped in place it is very secure even on my 1.25" Sparks belt. the holster can fit belts up to 1.5". I am impressed how even on a narrow belt it doesn't shift once the snaps are done. it's very comfortable too and paddles require a big slab to go into you pants.

I won't use anything but a CQC-S now.

·
Registered
624 Posts
BK, I was pretty tired when I got home from work today, but you certainly made me feel better. Thanks a million!
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts