1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home a used Benelli M1 Tactical that's in almost unused condition for a good price, but came with NOTHING else. No manual, chokes (other than the Full already on it), or box so I've got alot of questions before I take her out.

First of all I'm having a hard time taking her apart. I can get the barrel/forearm out, but can't seem to remove the bolt handle to remove the bolt, is there any trick to this? And after the bolts removed do I just pop out the pin for the trigger assembly? I don't really want to play with it too much since I haven't the foggiest idea of what I'm doing and I don't want to break anything.

Second the only shotgun I've owned before was a Mossberg 590, so chokes are new to me. Is it safe to shoot 00 Buck / 4 Buck through a Full choke? And can you shoot slugs through a Modified? It's strictly a HD gun and I dunno which chokes I'll actually need to buy.

Third after putting a shell in the chamber and 5 in the mag (it's a post-ban pistol grip model) is it a good idea to release the cartridge drop lever, popping a round onto the carrier so it'll take spring tension out of the mag?

Also any other tips or advice would be greatly appriciated. When I first was interested in a Benelli I posted some questions here and you guys were amazing, I really appriciate the help.
I can't wait to get my baby to the range! If she shoots as good as she looks...

·
Registered
428 Posts
With the receiver protected with a rag, I've used a screwdriver to gently lever out the bolt handle. This gets easier after it been in and out a few times. The trigger group is held in with the one pin you can see. It can be pushed out either direction. It has a spring detent so you may need to lightly tap the punch. I don't recommend disassembling the trigger group. You can shoot 00 buck with full choke safely. I've shot slugs sucessfully through modified choke but many do not recommend it. I am sure Benelli USA would be glad to send you a manual. The gunsmith of course is wearing a coat and tie in the photos

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Bill-
I haven't tried taking out the bolt handle yet... too afraid I'll mar something up with a screwdriver, but I did take out the trigger group and oiled up the action pretty good. I'll probably take her out tomorrow night and see how she runs, I've got a little bit of everything- From low recoil 00 Buck to 3inch mag 000 buck. Maybe someone at the range can help me get the handle out, I swear that sucker won't budge. Everything on her is extremely tight, I'm sure it'll all loosen up eventually. God willing...

...and I'll be giving Benelli USA a call to see if they'll send out a manual... if anything it should be a hoot to see pics of the Benelli guy field stripping it in a coat/tie. I guess thats what you get for a pricey shotgun these days...

·
Registered
75 Posts
You might check the Benelli USA website. I seem to recall they had operator manuals on there a while back (Adobe PDF format).

Another way to remove the bolt charging handle is to wrap some heavy twine (I use mil 550 cord) and then pull perpendicular to the axis of the bolt.

As for chokes, I've heard all kinds of different things. Don't recall what the manual says and mines not handy. I think 00 buck is OK with a full choke, but I wouldn't swear to it. When I shoot slugs, I don't go tighter than Modified, and more prone to using Improved Cylinder.

Steve

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
WOO-HOO!! I got it out with the cord of an old computer mouse I had lying around, thanks for the tip Rock06.
I also called Benelli USA and they're mailing out a new manual (they took the one off the website).

Once again you guys came through, I can't thank you enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts