1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity is it normal for the breechblock on the Benelli M3, when operated in the "pump action" mode, to come partially open after the gun has fired? Is this some design idiosyncrasy to help extraction/ejection?

It seems to occur after the chamber pressure has dropped to a very safe level and pumping the forend completes the cycle and chambers the next round with no problems, but it is unnerving and makes me wonder if I have a defective gun.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Are you riding the slide back?

All pump action shotguns unlock the bolt/breechblock when fired. They have to or you would not be able to work the slide.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I agree with Cannibul. I think you are pulling slide back during recoil. I would do that occassionally with my 500ASL.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you are saying, but the Benelli has an inertial type of locking/unlocking system. Normally, if I fire any of my other dedicated pumps (i.e. 97, 12, 37, 870, Hi-Std, etc.) the breech will stay closed until I physically pull back on the action slide.

In the case of the Benelli, however, the recoil would tend to make you pull the action slide forward, but the breech block still ends up open about halfway. It's unnerving, and I'm still not sure if it's an idiosyncrasy of the gun or if there is a problem with the breech locking mechanism.

Remember: The M3 works in either pump or semi auto mode.

Probably the one thing I should do is contact Benelli and see what they have got to say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts