1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benelli makes a Mercury Recoil Reducer for the Nova 12 ga. shotgun. Does it really work or is it just the added weight that makes recoil seem less.

Thank you.

Dean
[email protected]

·
Registered
139 Posts
well, actually...ok hear ya go...will you feel less recoil...yes. Remeber that there is always an equal and opposite reaction to everyaction. With the heavier gun (butt load of mercury in the stock) the speed of the recoil will be reduced, but there is aways the same amount of energy being exerted rearward as there is forward....example....make two pendulems, one with a bowling ball and one with a baseball. pull the bowling ball back and let go. What happens, the baseball go flying away. Now pull the baseball back and swing it into the bowling ball. Result; the bowling ball hardly moves.

Recoil is the result of the projectile being pushed down the barrel, thus the projectile is pushing the gun backwards waya from the projectile. The difference in felt recoil is do to the amount of A. projectile energy and B. the weight of the gun and shooter. When you fire an automatic there is less felt recoil because some of the energy is being used in cycling the action (particuarily in recoil operated firearms). It actualy creates a slower acceleration in the firearm, thus less felt recoil. The lighter the gun and the less expenditure of energy to operate the firearm, the faster the firearm will accelerate and thus, increase felt recoil.

Sorry, I may have bored even myself with that response...:eek:

Andy

·
Registered
428 Posts
Clay target shooters have been adding weight (to their guns) for many years. Most use mercury. Just added one to my wife's Gold, hope to test it this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts