1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks-

Well, I've been thinking it's about time to seriously address this problem I've been having.

Series 70 Colt that has had its ejection port lowered and flarred.

The pistol works fine except it damages (collapses the case mouth) the brass. I need to keep the brass!

I've read a dozon times that people install extended ejectors to solve this problem, but I'd rather find the real reason.

I have other Colts with the short ejector, and they work fine.

The extractor is adjusted the same as the rest of my pistols, so I assume its adjustment is not the problem.

Is there a special way to "dress" the tip of the extractor so that it "tips" a certain way while the ejector starts pushing on the opposite side?

I'm hopping to get some good dialogue going. What would the pros do?

Thanks,

Eric M.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I think everyone is avoiding you eam :eek:

Sorry for no response earlier.

There have been many threads dealing with this subject. I'd give you a link but I don't know where to start.

Number one, make sure your extractor has 'good' tension then make sure the case will roll over the hook without binding (this can be cured by stoning the outside surface and hook depth of the extractor).

Then if your empties are still being thrown into the port try an extended ejector.

But please do a search on 'extended ejector' or 'ejection port' there are many good threads :) .

Jeff

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JeffC

Thank you very much for responding, Jeff.

Sorry to post a question people prefer to ignore.

I realize this type of failure has been discussed, but the responses I remember reading all ended with "install and extended ejector."

...guess I didn't read them all...

I'll try to ask a more intelligent question next time.

Eric M.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
eam said:

I'll try to ask a more intelligent question next time.

Eric, there are no stupid questions on this forum. Stupid answers sometimes, but no stupid questions. ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys...

Looks like I have some reading to do. I truly appriciate the direction.

I'll let you know how things work out.

Thanks again-

Eric M

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure did enjoy the reading, and I certainly learned a few new things.

I may be able to work on it a bit this weekend, and I'll let you folks know how things work out.

Thanks again,

Eric M>

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Aside from all the reading and searching, can you see any brass marks around the ejection port? They may be even inside the edge of the ejection port? Tell us what you see. This would be a good place to start in understanding what might be happening. If your case mouths are really being munched, the is some serious interference going on.

There was a discussion I started quite some time ago about adjusting the ejector and extrator. Here's a link to that discussion:
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9734&highlight=ejector+magic

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Howdy, 10ring et. al.-

Today was the day to begin working on this thing.

I examined the ejection port closely, under magnification, and saw no brass traces.

I rechecked the extractor tension and decided it could indeed be a touch tighter without hurting the feeding stroke.

While removing the extractor, I noticed the firing pin stop was fairly loose. In fact, it would fall out under its own weight.

I bent the extractor, just a hair, and installed the firing pin stop out of a Gold Cup parts-gun I have laying around. It didn't fit snug, taking only light finger pressure to install. As far as I know, that's just about right.

The results? I only fired one magazine through it, but it's enough to tell me it is greatly improved. Only one of the spent casings was very very slightly out of round, and one other showing the slightest "scrape."

Before wiping the pistol down I looked very carefully, under magnification, and saw the slightest sliver of brass on the inside edge of the bottom of the ejection port.

I also noted that the brass didn't go very far. I have an 18lb wolf in there now; I may switch to a stock spring to see what happens.

Well, that's it. I can coax it into submission from here.

I hate to radius the inside of the ejection port, but I suppose that may be a reasonable thing to do.

I think I'll focus on getting the brass to swing slightly up and to the right rather than directly to the right.

Thanks guys,

Eric M.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
That's great news eam, and if the brass is just barely tipping the bottom of the ejection port I'm curious just how much has the port been lowered? Some guns have the port lowered as much as .385, most common I 'think' is around .400

I'm happy for ya :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JeffC and anyone else interested-

The ejection port has been lowered, by an unknown 'smith in the Seattle area, to .54 from the bottom of the slide to the bottom of the port.

I've done a couple of follow-up tests with the same results.

There is some very slight denting on a few and a hint of scraping on a few others, with the majority clean and round.

Sorry it took me so long to respond; I've been working on my house, and 1911s got put on the back burner...

Thanks,

Eric M.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Well glad to hear you got your problem ironed out Eric :) .

That lowering job is not too low, so if you wanted to you could have it lowered even further.

I have the following port measurements for you off my 1911s for comparison.
  • Springfield Milspec WWII .613
  • Colt G.I.1911 (1918) .606
  • Colt MkIV series 80 .467
  • NRM Gov't model .470
  • Kimber Custom .390

Jeff

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that the port is not too low.

In fact, I'm thinking of sending it off to a quality smith for a couple of things I can't do.

1. NM barrel and bushing

2. clean up and re-lower the port.

3. top notch trigger job.

I'll think about it some more. That's what I'm good at... ;-)

Eric M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts