1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious and I was hoping that some of the more savvy gunsmith types here might know what I'm talking about...

I have a 92f and a couple of M-9s with the slide mounted safety/decocker. I have heard that there is a way to change the safety to a decock only by installing a spring that would push the safety back to the fire position after it decocks. Is this possible? How is this done? Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's called the 92 G. Try calling the Beretta factory. They would be the only ones to do this modification.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I really wanted a Beretta Cougar, but don't like Beretta's safety because it works in the opposite direction of a 1911 - and that's just too many things to remember (down is safe vs. up is safe). I asked Ernest Langdon at LTT if he could convert a Couger to a "G" model, and he said that he wouldn't do it, and wouldn't recommend it. Beretta makes a couple of "G" models, which happen to be there more expensive models -- the Elite and the new SD.

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
As I understand, it is not practical to convert a 92FS to the "G" (decock-only) configuration. As I recall, the hole for the safety/decocker's detent is drilled differently.

That said, I can't see why anyone would carry a 92FS or similar DA autoloader with the safety engaged. Carrying it off safe is really no different than carrying a DA revolver, in terms of the amount of force required to fire the first shot. It won't go off by itself. Just use the safety as a decocker only. Decock only after the action is over and the pistol has been "topped off" with a tactical reload...just prior to holstering...and immediately flip it back up to the "fire" position. As Jeff Cooper notes regarding this--don't get caught with your dingus down.

Rosco

1 - 5 of 5 Posts