1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on something of a "fighting handgun" kick lately. In the last six to eight months I've bought a CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical, a FNH FNX-45, a Glock 29SF and most recently a Beretta 92FS.

I've just always sort of wanted a Beretta 92 series pistol simply because they're so iconic and I love shooting 9mm. Once I got the 92FS I was rather disappointed with the incredibly HEAVY trigger pull, most notably the DA pull. I did some research and ended up picking up a Wolfe reduced power hammer spring kit which has a 16, 17, 18 and 19lb spring (factory is a whopping 20lb!). I also noticed there was an option for a 13lb spring too so I got one of them too! I figured if the 13 is too light I'll definitely be able to find the right compromise in that kit.

Well I recieved my springs the other day and I'm happy to report the 13lb spring IS the one. What a HUGE difference it makes in the DA pull (from 15+lbs down to about 8lbs). The SA pull went from 5.5lbs down to an even 4lbs. Took the gun to the range yesterday and put at least 250 rounds thru it with ZERO issues! Just want to report this for anyone else out there struggling with a model 92's heavy trigger. Great solution and really economical.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
Dropping in a reduced-power mainspring definitely helps the 92/M9's DA trigger and has been common knowledge for some time. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a 13# spring, however. Try some more European 9mm ammo and look at the spent cases for signs of lightly-struck primers. If you can find some surplus military stuff even better, since those typically have hard primers. Not that you're likely to use a 92FS for CCW, but you still don't want the pistol to be sensitive towards what ammo it'll reliably fire, especially once chamber fouling builds up and creates a slight cushion for the chambered round.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I use mostly laxammo reloads but I also shot some Fiocchi 115 FMJ's. I havent picked up any S&B but hear good things. SG just had a good sale on it.
Glad you fixed up your trigger pull on your Beretta, with the replacement, installing the 13# spring!! I used Fiocchi 115 FMJ In my Browning Hi Power, not to bad, for range shooting. Going to try some Sellier Bellot later on.
Scott

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
For several years now I've used a 16# hammer spring in all my 92s. Never had a light strike. I've shot SB, federal, Remington, win and other off the wall ammo. I change out the hammer springs every year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts