1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm wondering if anyone here owns a 96? or a 92 for that matter, question is do all the 92 and 96 (new) pistols come with ambi safety, crome barrel or are those model specific? thanks

·
Administrator
72,143 Posts
I have two Model 92 Beretta, an Italian-made 92fs and the M9 Special Edition. The M9 is a safe queen, but the 92fs has seen some use. Most of my shooting was done with another 92fs (USA made) that I sold to pay for the M9. I fired about 2,000 rounds or so through that one without ever having had a malfunction of any kind. The Italian gun hasn't malfed yet either in close to a thousand rounds of shooting. Pretty impressive, in my book. I haven't heard much said about the .40 version, but aside from a few early guns having problems the rest seem fine. All Beretta 9x series pistols have either a chrome-lined or a stainless steel barrel and ambi safeties. Heck, you can even reverse the mag catch if you wanted to!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

D

·
0 Posts
I own one of each. They both have ambi safeties. My 92 is blued and does not have a chrome barrel. They're very reliable. I don't know why, but my 96 is more accurate than the 92.
Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
In my humble opinion, the Beretta 92/96 series represents the best value in the traditional double action (first shot DA, follow up shots SA) on the market today. Beats the SIG hands down pricewise. Parts and custom options are plentiful, accuracy is surgical, reliability is awesome, holster options limitless, factory triggers are usually acceptable and can be made better with ease, etc, etc...

The CZ is supposed to be a real value also, but is heavier and really not in the same class. The Beretta 92/96 series is probably the most overlooked, best kept secret in the industry. I love 'em.

Regards,
Callahan

·
Registered
104 Posts
26,000 Brigadier M96D's later, the USINS/USBP still love the DAO version. Of course, the duty pistol is a "slick slide" and has no safety levers. The trigger pull, long by some standards. is the smoothest on the market and closely resembles a well done revolver. The pistol outstripped every competitor and has never had any serious problems. For accuracy, hundreds of agents fired their first "possible" with the M96D DAO. It is an extremely durable and reliable pistol and is inherently accurate.

------------------
Regards,

MDCalvert
Tennessee

·
Administrator
72,143 Posts
The only reason why the Beretta 9x series aren't more popular is due to the bashing they've received from elements inside the military, in addition to many gunshop commandos. They of course have hated it since the 1911 was replaced, and the breakage issues in the late 80's simply gave them more ammo to use. From a practicality standpoint, it's true that the Beretta isn't very size-efficient when using 10-round magazines, but that shouldn't stop law enforcement. Not only that, but even for civilians pre-Crime Bill era hi-cap Beretta magazines are among the easiest to find of any wondernine.

I think it's all in the mystique, or lack therof. An elite cop, or knowledgeable citizen will choose a custom 1911, SIG, or Glock. Only a poor Army recruit or LAPD rookie gets saddled with the junky break-etta. The fact that Beretta 9x pistols are about the single most reliable semi-auto handguns in existence seems lost on many people.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I also own the standard 92FS and it does come with a black barrel. You can get aftermarket stainless barrels polished to look like chrome for about $80 (check out Brownells). I put one in mine just to save wear on the original barrel.

The Ber is a very good combat weapon (pretty good accuracy, very high reliabilty). Mine has yet to jam with >5000 rounds fired.

I do think that my CZ-85 Combat is a better gun all around (cost only $425 and comes with adjustable sights). It's more accurate and has a smoother trigger than my Ber. It does pull a stovepipe jam on occasion, but I only use it for target shooting.

BTW- the weight on the CZ and Beretta are the same (36 oz empty) although the CZ is all steel which I like better.

Both are good guns, but I'd recommend the CZ over the Ber.

·
2,895 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
The only reason why the Beretta 9x series aren't more popular is due to the bashing they've received from elements inside the military, in addition to many gunshop commandos.
For those of us who can look past the rumors and bashing, it is the size that hurts what would otherwise be a superb weapon. Not a problem if you are the Highway Patrol, but that thing doesn't conceal too well.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I have an Elite II. It has an ambi safety, I think the barrel is stainless steel (not sure if it's chrome). I haven't gotten a good look at the 92FS, personally I'm waiting until the Vertec comes out, instead of getting a plain-Jane 92FS.

I sold my Kimber and got the Beretta with the cash. I don't regret it one bit. I shoot the 92G (decock only) better than both my USP and my former (now someone else's) 1911.

The only thing I don't like about it is a) the barrel crowning makes cleaning in that area difficult and that the slightest pressure on the slide release would make it slam shut, so if you shoot high thumbs and you have ANY pressure on the slide release (i.e. you're barely touching it) then the slide may not lock open on the last round.

Who says you can't have Berettas AND butter?, asketh the hillbilly skunk.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Park_Ranger, you may already own one, but if your in the process of purchasing a 96 Beretta, I would suggest you make contact with someone from the Indiana State Police. I spoke to one of their SWAT officers on Tuesday and he informed me that they are totally unhappy with the guns. They had 92's prior to this and liked them (particularly the accuracy). This fellow informed me that the slides on SWAT officers and firearms instructors are starting to show cracks in the slides (they obviously shoot more than the normal line officer). Might be worth checking with one of them if you have a connection.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually i'm not sure the ERF in my city use beretta's i think all the police forces in ontario use sig's. but i must say that you're the first person i've heard bad things from, so i'm still looking anyways, be a while, i saw a used 92fs in my local gun shop for $550 canadian which is about $350 american. i was thinking of getting it. but i need a steady income before i worry about buying more guns. thanks guys

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey Skunkabilly where did you get that Beretta hat? Beretta's are #1 in my book. Sigs are #2 and 1911 #3. The Elite 2 is THE perfect gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts