1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son in law is deploying to the sandbox in a month. He is a platoon leader in a Cav Squadron.

I have thought about buying him a set of Crimson Trace laser grips for his M-9.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with laser sights under combat conditions?

I have them on a 1911 and have them for a J frame. Good bragging rights and you can exercise the cat with out getting up, but I have never considered using them for defensive purposes.

Would you want a pair if going into combat?

Where is the best buy to be had on a pair?

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used to have a Beretta 92FS (civilian M-9) and the two-part Crimson Trace grips. When they worked, they were very nice. Unfortunately, I had a difficult time pressing the contact switch -- using my normal grip, the switch would fit into the crease in my palm and not activate. If I moved my hand around on the grip, I could activate the laser, but then holding the gun was very uncomfortable.

From what C.T. told me on the phone, their wrap-around laser grips have switches on both sides, so activation would be much easier. Never got a chance to try the newer-style grips, though -- decided to sell the gun instead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do not think it is a good idea at all.
Red is most easily detectable spectrum of light in dark condition, which is a absolutely "no-no" in combat evironment.
Red light emitting from the cigarette burning could be detected from 2 miles away to bare eyes, giving the enemy a good point of aim for their artility fire.
I bet the red laser would be much brighter than the cigarette.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't think the light visibility of the laser grips on the pistol is of much concern as a cigarette would be. The reason is that if he is in a position where he is firing a pistol then his position is already known, and things have already gone very sour for combat to have moved to within pistol range. It's not like the laser is on all the time. Besides, the muzzle blast would give the position away real quick.

I'd be more woried about some private with a flashlight beaconing away a position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts