1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today at a store, I saw for the first time Beretta's new SAA, the Stampede. Haven't bought one yet -but here are my first impressions:

Fit & finish: Absolutely superb. Tightest cylinder lockup I've ever seen! The case-color finish was also absolutely beautiful...The grip is black polymer -at least on this particular sample/model.

Action: The Stampede is a 3 screw with a frame-mounted firing pin and transfer bar ignition. Unlike a Ruger SA, the action is the more traditional type with the ability to half-cock the hammer and turn the cylinder...cool. The action is very smooth.

Price: $399

Conclusion:
Very, very nice SA wheelgun. Better than -If I dare say- Ruger's own Vaquero (and I own 5 Ruger wheelguns). The stampede is reportedly made by Uberti. If so, it's the best Uberti I've ever seen!

It's available at various calibers and finish. The sample I looked at was 45LC...5.5" w/ case color and black grips...just like the one in the pic below. But it looks much better up close & personal.

Here's the official pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi Megatron, I picked up the deluxe model in 357 about 3 weeks ago and agree that it is a beautiful piece of work. It is so pretty I haven't even shot it yet, but I will...........Here is a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't fired it yet? don't blame ya' I'm really tempted to get one myself. As good as the Ruger SAs are -they are not even in the same class. Made me forget about those Bird-head Vaqueros that I was considering. The sample I saw looked like it was handmade by master craftsmen (pics don't do justice). It's that good -but you know that already :D

Write a range report when you get around to actually shooting it, eh?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Sounds like the Beretta's are a chip off the ole block...

Just hard for me picturing a Beretta not in semi-auto form!

NAA.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Beautiful, I was considering a Ruger, but now I don't know. How do you think they'll hold up over time, since that's what Ruger's are known for. However, I wasn't aware that Ruger didn't have the half ####, the single six does, why not the vaquero?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Stampede will hold up just fine. It's an incredible piece of craftsmanship, looks and feels very solid. Probably won't take a "hot" self-loaded round as well as a Ruger -but you wouldn't want to subject this piece to that kind of abuse anyway.

The Ruger SAs are oversized and built strong but have a bland, generic feel -which is why I've been looking for a non-Ruger SA for quite sometime...

The Stampede is much closer to the original Colts in look, size, weight and feel.

The craftmanship was almost unbelievable on the sample I examined. The Rugers don't come even close -and they were on display too, alongside the Stampede.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It makes sense to a degree that Beretta is making a SAA since they own Uberti now.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Berreta is nice in looks. The ones that have been tested in CAS shooting have ALL failed. Overrotation and even skipping chambers is the big complaint. If they are given action jobs, polished and have all the springs replaced, they are good. The Ruger is a far superior revolver. I hope Beretta fixes their timing problems and produces better springs. I would look hard at the Gibbs/Navy Arms Gunfighter series for traditional single actions. A friend bought three Berettas and they all failed the first time out. They are being repaired and time will tell if they are any good. One revolver locked up on the first shot! The others were skippng chambers and basically overrotating/timing issues.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The Ruger is a far superior revolver. I hope Beretta fixes their timing problems and produces better springs. I would look hard at the Gibbs/Navy Arms Gunfighter series for traditional single actions. A friend bought three Berettas and they all failed the first time out.
That's what I was wondering about. Looking pretty in the gunstore is one thing but Rugers have been actually winning in the Cowboy game for some time. The more modern design doesn't look or feel as pretty as a SAA but it just keeps on going. I would like to have some of the SAA clones I see but I would use a Ruger if I was going to compete. (Well, unless I was going to spend some money on a gunsmith to work on the clone. Even then, it would be limited by the design.)

Gregg

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Golly I want one! If I scored one by Halloween I would have been Tap Rack Chang, the first Chinese-American Rawman
OMG!!!!!

I just blew water all over my monitor, and it's all your fault!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Many, many years ago an old school teacher taught me this.
It has stood me in good stead ever since.

Be not the first by whom the new is tried, nor yet the last
to lay the old aside.

Personally, I will stick with the tried and true Ruger. I have many
EMFs, Hartfords, Ubertis, etc but none to compare with Ruger.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I put a deposit on a Colt 3rd Gen SAA. I have a EMF/Uberti and a Navy Arms/Uberti, but neither of them are as nice as the Colt. I know you here that 3rd Gen are as good as 2nd Gen which aren't as good as 1st Gen, but this gun is smooth and has the nicest action of any of the SAAs that I've thus handled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts