1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to great effort to get some Berry's 38 Super 135gr FP. Their web site shows the diameter as .3565, just what I needed! When I got them, the enclosed catalog rates them as .3555-.3565. After checking 20 or 30 of them most are .355 with a few at .3555. How have their products been for you ???? TIA

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I gave up on berry's for this exact reason. I got some 9mm bullets that would not chamber in my 210's because they were oversized. Then I got some 10mm bullets that were to small. I do not remember the specifics, but I think I posted a question on it over here or at the firing line.

I gave up on plateds and berry's in particular. I usually use Remington, Seirra or Hornady now. My current quote is "life is to short to shoot inaccurate bullets!". (This quote is due to berry's)

One final comment. I base my opinion as a person who shoots SIG 210's, Les Baer 1911's with his 1.5" guarantee and several other custom guns like my P9Ultra that Briley worked on. I also try to shoot at least 1000 to 1500 rnds per month, so this is not the opinion of a quack with an off the shelf cheap gun.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have had fair luck with Berry's bullets. Some of the 40's are restruck after plating to size them better but still I like jacketed for 40. For 38 super I don't like any plated bullet as I shoot a hybrid. Plated and plain lead bullets pattern like a shotgun as the bullet shears off thru the ports. I use Montana Gold bullets and they have worked very well. The price is good and the quality is excellent.
Ed Henry

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Well guys, I guess I'll have to be the dissenting opinion. :)

I've shots thousands of Berry's in 115gr & 124gr 9mm, 158gr .38Spl, 200gr 45acp, and 110gr M1Carbine. I've found all the Berry's bullets to be totally acceptable. I will say, when I've accuracy tested them against Rainier and West Coast bullets they usually come in third. But, even so, the differences are slight and for my purposes the Berry's are sufficiently accurate. And the main reason I shoot them is because they are the least expensive of the plated bullets (IME).

Good shooting.....Rod.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yep, some get good results with Berry's, I don't. Having piddleing with crimp, seating depth, primers, powder etc, I do not get as good accuracy as I do with seirra or hornady bullets. Even the restruck berrys are not as accurate.

My opinion is that bullet accuracy is really a measure of dispersion and expectations. For example, when I take out my beretta 96, I do not expect 1" 10 shot 25 yard groups. It is loose and reliable so I accept 4 to 5" berry's groups. When I switch to seirra's they drop to the 3 to 4" range. This is probably not significant enough to warrant the cost difference, so why not shoot berry's?

Now when I go out with my 210-5 or 210-6, I am expecting 1" 8 shot 25 yard groups if I do my job right. The guns are easily capable of this. So when I shoot berry's and I get 3 and 4" groups I have to ask is this me or the ammo. My experience in every time is it is the berry's bullets. Group sizes for me generally drop in half for Seirra's vs. Berry's.

This experience has played out in many different calibers to the point I gave up on Berry's. I have noticed that the proponents of Berry's TEND (note I am making an observation, not an absolute) to be shooting more off the shelf guns then the customized or top dollar guns.

Finally, I think that if you really want to see the accuracy of the bullet, you need to shoot 50 shot groups. This gets mag changes, first shot flyers, shooter fatigue and consistency into the equation. I find it is pretty easy to luck into a good 5, 7, 8 or 10 shot groups and think that you have a good load.

Ok, Nomex on, flame away......

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Peter,

First let me say I agree completely with your bullet logic. Sierra's & Hornady's are definitely a more accurate bullet than Berry's. But, of course, they cost a lot more. So, when 1" @ 25yd. accuracy is wanted, use the best bullet you can find. For most other shooting where 3" @ 25yds is acceptable, Berry's may suffice.

And, as usual, generalizations can get you in trouble. You indicated that Berry's shooters probably shoot "off the shelf" guns. Well, maybe so, but my 9mm that I used for my shooting evaluations mentioned above, is a very costly, highly customized, definitely not "off the shelf", bull-barreled, Commander, crafted by a very well know 1911 pistolsmith. :D

Nice exchanging opinions with you, and good shooting. :)

Rod.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Thanks for the reply, it is always nice to exchange dissenting opinions in a civil manner which seems so rare on the net forums today.

I agree with your comments about the precision and maybe I was a bit harsh about the "off the shelf" guns. I was alluding to the "stock" factory guns I see at the range very commonly and these tend not to be as accurate as the custom jobs.

Take care and I enjoyed the comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts